1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lupica is laid off

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 16, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least he can afford to be laid off.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, but Bondy's book about the Pine Tar Game was excellent.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Here's a take on Lupica's layoff and the changing nature of sports media.

From the piece:

In a way, too, Lupica being laid off is symbolic of the evolution of newspaper sports journalism. It's one of my pet theories that digital and social media is changing the hierarchy of sports journalists. Lupica represents the era when columnists were kings, the stars of the paper, the ones in ads on the sides of busses. They were the superstars.

Digital media is changing that. Now, opinions are less valuable to newspapers because of blogs and social media. Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one. So when a columnist isn't at a game reporting but instead writing an opinion-based hot take off TV - something Lupica often did - it stands out as being lazy and less valuable than it once was.

Think of who the stars are in sports journalism now. Peter King. Adam Schefter. Jay Glazer. Woj. You may not be fans of their work, but they are the big names. And they're not columnists. They're reporters. They trade in scoops and information and tidbits and nuggets. Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone has access to information. That's not to say columnists aren't important or don't play a huge role, only that their status within the field seems to be diminishing a bit.

Agree?

(The biggest star is sports journalism, Bill Simmons, is no reporter.)

Jeff likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of sad that when a sportswriter takes a guess at the largest salary he could imagine, and comes up with $200,000.

Unless he's taken multiple pay cuts, there no way he was making less than $500,000.

He's a mercenary, that worked for the Post, Newsday, and the News over the years (and the National too, right?). He was the highest paid columnist in NYC.

5. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

That's true. I didn't think of that. Also, I'm sure ESPN wouldn't mind giving him a column. They love him over there.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From 1995:

Mike Lupica, Newsday's $675,000-a-year sports columnist, was one of those who tried to get the newspaper to reverse its decision.

Editor & Publisher - Racial Strife At Newsday? p. 14

Even if they're off, they're probably in the ballpark.

The New York City newspaper wars back them were fierce. People forget how popular Lupica was in the nations biggest, most competitive, and highest paying market.

7. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

He'll be fine. Those books bring in so much cash, too.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It hasn't been a great month for Lupica. I believe his radio show was dropped by ESPN in NY a few weeks ago.

What happened today is a damned shame. I know the Daily News has been hanging on by a thread financially and the try at a sale was a mess. But its sports section was maybe the one reason anyone did have to pick it up. Bondy and Gola were such a valuable part of that section. I hope they each find a good next stop, if they want to keep working.

Jeff likes this.
  9. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

Just saw they laid off Wayne Coffey, too. That. is. crazy.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is he on twitter. Just so I can remember when mom and dad's anniversary is and to be comforted by knowing they still hold hands. Also so I can remember when his sons' birthdays are and also the little guy's anniversary.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    NotMikeLupica likes this.
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Wow. This is a very insightful comment. Thanks for sharing this. And, for the record, I agree. Columnists are a dime a dozen. It's the reporters that work the beat, develop the sources and get the big stories that are more valuable than anything now.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

So how close to the full list:

Thompson
    Lupica
    Bondy
    Madden
    Gola
    Coffey
    Rubin

That's what, 10 percent of the department? 15?

Draft saved Draft deleted