1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ESPN's arrogance shines through when they try to have a writer convincing readers that Player A "isn't so bad" or is "misunderstood" or "isn't as he appears to be."

The WWL isn't alone in trying to persuade readers, but they seem to think they can pull off this story better than anyone else. They have failed - again.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'll take an white supremist over those clowns who "joke" and "kid" and then act like they are the victim of "political correctness" when someone calls them on their bs.
    At least the former doesn't claim to be anything other than what he or she is.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I had read/seen the entire story long before I made the comment.

There are many people quite willing to throw a stereotype on this because it's a stereotype they're comfortable with. If it wasn't, they'd be horrified with the stereotype.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ESPN apparently feels it cannot function without a tsunami of athlete semen gurgling down its throat.

Faux Fascist Sports' series "Beyond The Glory," an entire series devoted to scrubbing the asses and pumping out cotton-candy propaganda for chronic thug punk criminals having long since set the gold standard in this genre.

Although of course that's all in keeping with Uncle Rupert/News Corps' overall strategy of always portraying those scary dark-colored people as shiftless, erratic, misbehaving, sex-crazy undisciplined savages. It's all part of the plan.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or...if it looks like a hick racist and speaks like a hick racist, it's probably a hick racist.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You are obsessed with semen.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wow, your little league team sounds like a real pisser.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Still not buying it:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-04/sports/bal-sportsblitz-scott-obama0504_1_president-barack-obama-birth-certificate-orioles

And, yes, I'm the same guy who said about Rashard Mendenhall that I don't care at all what athletes say about current events. But Scott's worldview has come out in larger profiles, both Dave Brown's piece at Yahoo and the ESPN.com story that triggered this thread. I suppose that has helped draw me in a little more, much like the John Rocker SI piece a decade ago.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Why should anybody care about what Luke Scott says ... The fact that he is an athlete in no way distinguishes him from any other moron birther.

This crap will go away when our brethren in the media stop enabling it by asking these clowns about it. Luke Scott has the right to be an idiot. He doesn't have the unfettered right to spread his idiocy, and we shouldn't be helping him do it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think this is probably a pretty good discussion for the Journalism Board at some point.

12. From Peter Gammons' Twitter account 3-days ago

Not for nothing but Gammons went to lily-white Groton and then all-white North Carolina prior to it being integrated in 1965. Say what you want about Scott but he's more racially tolerant than Gammons was at the same age. Let's hear him call out former colleague Dan Shaughnessey for his racism before throwing rocks at easy target Scott and then I'll give him credence.

Draft saved Draft deleted