1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luke Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Baseball's favorite birther is back in business, telling ESPN.com how he tosses banana chips into his dark-skinned friend Felix Pie's batting helmet any time that Pie has to be reminded to stop acting like an "animal" and a "savage":

"Felix is my friend," he says. "I give him a hard time. The reason why I give him a hard time is because there are certain people you deal with and you go up and talk to them, and it doesn't work. They don't understand.

"I tell him about some of the ways he's acted: 'Look, you're acting like an animal, you're acting like a savage.'"

Scott turns to his locker and pulls out a bag of plantain chips.

"So I throw bananas in his helmet. Here are my banana chips to remind him that whenever he acts like an animal, 'Hey, that's what other people are thinking. They're just not telling you, but that's what they're thinking about. And I'm telling you so that you're aware of that so you can make a cognitive decision to not behave like that.' I would want someone to tell me that instead of letting you making a jerk of yourself."

Hey, that's just Luke being Luke, all of his teammates say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6395744&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He must really hate today's big headline.

3. Sounds like this guy is begging for an ass beating from the right teammate.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's no John Rocker because he learned Spanish.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that at all. While most readers, and the writer, are saying "He used the words 'animal' and 'savage' and 'bananas' in reference to a dark-skinned person. Something must be wrong here!" nobody but the players have any idea what their relationship is truly like. The writer gives a decent glimpse, and even she must concede that the relationship between Scott and his teammates are good.

"Everyone seemingly has a similar refrain: From the outside it seems offensive, but if you know Scott, it's harmless."

6. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

On Twitter, Adam Jones talks about Luke a little bit and calls him his guy and mentions that they hang out together off the field. Not saying that Scott's views don't raise eyebrows, but it appears that he in fact does get along with teammates (or at least some of them).

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Luke Scott and Felix Pie are great friends. They understand each other very well. Only problem here is liberals gasping in horror from the sidelines.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Baltimore's a great town to get your ass kicked.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Anybody who has ever covered a team knows that the "teammates say so-and-so-is-just-misunderstood" story is a tired line of bullshit. Let this clown get traded, then go back to these guys five years later and ask about what great buddies they were.

And I say that having been duped along these lines myself, earlier in my career.
    The teammates are making the best of it, trying to convince themselves that having to be around this guy all the time is OK.

And shotglass, I'd like you to read those Scott quotes about how he's trying to "civilize" his teammate and really tell me you're OK with that, without throwing around the word "ilberal," which really has nothing to do with anything here.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've been on racially-mixed teams with a couple of proud unrepentant "good ole boys" who thought they got a lot of yucks out of playing out Archie Bunker scenes in the locker room (this was back when AITF was big), calling the black guys "colored boys," telling them "fetch my socks," etc etc.

The black guys kind of gritted their teeth and went along with it for public consumption (the "big happy family" atmosphere the coach wanted to maintain), but when Leeroy and Jimmy Bob were out of the room, the black guys said, "Those motherfuckers ever pull that shit when Coach ain't around, they're going down." I said "I'll give you a hand, they're fuckin' assholes in just about every other way too." And they were.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

...is a fucking idiot.

That should be the end of the thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted