1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luggage-buying tips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by luckyducky, Nov 12, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, ratfarts. I was on AirTran just last week and checked bags.

Hopefully Southwest won't follow anytime soon. They've built a whole ad campaign around having no fees.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cannot wait for the fights for the overhead bins to ensue. Checking bags helped this issue ... and now the airlines are trying to extract blood from turnips for it.

::)

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I have lime green and royal blue luggage.. my husband cracks me up because he always says, check the name.. Dude, it's my luggage. It stands alone. Got 'em on close out at Dillards. Guess no one else wanted it. Unfortunately, one rivet on a handle has come loose. So, not so durable. But extremely lightweight. Definitely look for something with the aluminum frame because they are so much lighter.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Don't worry. Southwest will follow soon. Their business model is catching up with them. Won't be for the first bag, at least not right away, but it won't be too much longer until they catch up too.

As far as luggage goes, check out Rynn's. It's where are the airlines ship their stuff to be repaired.

Eddie Bauer, Swiss Army, Samsonite, to name a few, are solid choices. Make sure the handles are constructed well, and not just molded plastic. They break too easily and ARE NOT covered as damage by any airline.

If you want any more help, PM me.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There are a couple of things that I won't budge on, and luggage is one of them. My Samsonite has faithfully lasted about 500,000 miles and it shows very little sign of wear. It's a 22-incher that I carry on without exception. No problem fitting a week's worth of clothes.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

FYI: Continental waives the first-bag fee for holders of their credit card. There's also a discount for flights (if you call and ask... since technically it expired years ago!)

I suspect other airlines may do the same. Just beware of yearly fees for the cards!

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

most airlines have some sort of arrangement for their preferred members. For us, international passengers get two bags up to 70 pounds. Silver preferred two bags to 70, Gold, Platinum and Chairman get three to 70. Military (active duty) get three up to 100 each. Also, First/Envoy get two as well.

Just ask how you can get around the charge and we'll tell you.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It's not luggage, but I recommend packing cubes. These things are great. I got mine at Sam Moon but you can get the Eagle Creek brand at ebags.com.

I have the regular Cubes, Half Cubes and Tube Cubes. You will love them!

9. lono

lono Active Member

L.L. Bean.

I travel a lot and torture the crap out of my luggage. The Bean stuff is fantastic — light and almost indestructable.

Draft saved Draft deleted