1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Luckiest Man On the Face of the Earth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 4, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

who knows if gehrig could even hug back the babe at that point? ???

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Brilliant speech.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He could, Shockey, and he did.

Hell, he could still walk out there and deliver a speech. ALS hadn't yet degenerated his muscles THAT much -- in fact, he had still been playing up to May 2, and he delivered the speech on July 4. His motor skills were a little shakier than they had been, but they weren't deteriorating that fast. He couldn't play at a major league level anymore -- but he wasn't at the point where he couldn't hug The Babe. (Which, IIRC, he did "hug back." They had been estranged since 1934, but they reconciled again around that time in 1939 and remained so until Gehrig's death in '41.)

Eig's book is fascinating in the detail of Gehrig's medical records over the last two years of his life, which the author obtained from the Mayo Clinic. You can truly get a picture for how devastating ALS can be.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Hasn't there been speculation that, given the progression of ALS as it is now understood, he played the last 3-5 years of his Hall of Fame career despite the disease steadily robbing him of his abilities?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'd be interested in reading more of that speculation, pall. That makes Gehrig's vastly underrated career even more mind-blowing if it's true.

However, the disease often works very quickly. I know Gehrig never went to the Mayo Clinic to get it checked out until 1938 (when he first started to struggle on the field), so it's possible that it affected him in 1936 or '37, too, before the disease was detected. But I believe that to be unlikely.

It's very possible that his motor skills didn't start to degenerate until mid-1938, deteriorated enough to where he had to retire after three weeks in '39, put him in a wheelchair by '40 and killed him by '41. The medical records seem to back that up. Hard to believe, with how quickly such an incredible physical specimen like Gehrig was felled by ALS, that it would have started anytime before then.

But holy shit, with the numbers he put up in 1937 (.351/.473/.643, 37 HR, 159 RBI) ... if ALS had already been weakening his body then? My god. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Swear to god I thought this was going to be another Obama thread.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The book I had read (which I just found again) was Richard Tofel's "A Legend in the Making." In it, he quoted Bill Dickey as saying, "If you look real close, you'll notice Lou never hugged Babe back. He just never fully forgave him."

Now, Dickey was one of Gehrig's best friends, so he probably was a little biased. Still, it's an interesting issue.

A couple of other interesting things about Gehrig's speech that Tofel wrote about was that Lou very nearly didn't give the speech. He was very emotional when receiving the gifts, and Joe McCarthy had to really encourage him to speak. McCarthy also asked a couple of players to hover near Gehrig in case he collapsed.

Gehrig also planned to make a joke about a botched cereal commercial he had done on live radio a few years earlier, but either forgot, or decided not to do it when he was speaking.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mr. Tofel should stick with finances. He's far better at his day job.

But that "botched" cereal commercial is a funny story. It was for Huskies -- Gehrig flubbed and called it "Wheaties" live on the air. Thus, the creation of the Breakfast of Champions.

Read Eig's book instead. Simply outstanding.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lou Gehrig. Died of Lou Gehrig's Disease. How did he not see that one coming? "Look pal, here's a disease with your name all over it." [/denis_leary]

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I always loved the line about the cry that supposedly went up from the fans when Wilhelm was injured, "Hert is hoit!"

(Sorry. Back to topic.)

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I know it was 1939 and all, but it's such a shame that a full recording of the real speech has not survived. I keep holding out hope that there's a reel out there in somebody's attic.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More than likely, another of the infinite lines Leary has lifted.

Draft saved Draft deleted