1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

My vote would go to Jeff Walker for in-house pick

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for stopping by, jeff's mom.

3. jps

jps Active Member

Kudos.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid, noob. damn solid.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Bear with me, but here's my memory of Allsup's:
    For the longest time, my mom had made chimichangas at home. And they were damn good. But she's from Wisconsin, and so she could cook them, but she couldn't pronounce the word. It was always "chimichaaangas," with a long A. Needless to say, that's how I learned it too.
    So in high school, I'm in Allsup's with a bunch of hispanic friends, and we're all starving. First thing I see is the chimichangas.
    Me: "Look guys! Chimichaaaangas!"
    Guys: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HE SAID CHIMICHAAAANGAS! LOOK AT THE GRINGO!"
    Me: "Damn it, mom."

I probably lucky they liked me, or I would have ended up with my ass beat that night. So, for whoever gets this gig, it ain't a long A.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Midwestern people + Mexican food = funny.

When I lived in Kansas, my girlfriend's sister-in-law made dinner for us once...to impress the Texan (me), she made enchiladas...with flour tortillas.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't know, dude. he said he had hispanic friends ... with an S. you know there ain't no more than one hispanic per town in the midwest.

8. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Yes, Allsups has some great artery-clogging grub - but nasty bathrooms.

I'm more down with the T and C because of their loos.

And yes, Lubbock is a wee bit on the conservative side, which can be grating to some.

I guess I blocked out all the right wing fanaticism by consistently drinking myself into oblivion in dodgy Tejano bars while ogling plump Latinas.

9. writing irish

Fine Chicana bootay in that town, no doubt.

10. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

Spot on, Irish.

The WASP-ish Texas Tech belles never gave me the time of day (or night for that matter). I had to find a better alternative to pass time on those lonely Lubbock nights.

11. writing irish

You don't want any of those anorgasmic Anglo sorority snobs. Look good, but mean as snakes and lousy in bed. Viva las chicas.

12. Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

The sorority snobs didn't want me. Wouldn't even look me in the eye. Then again, their frat daddy brothers had more change in their pockets than I.

I figured I shouldn't waste my time and money at Bash Riprock's, Crickets, Bleachers or other Tech hangouts.

I prefered the hole-the-walls because I could do my dirt without my co-workers knowing about it. They would never step foot in these places. In fact, I scouted them by reading the daily A-J crime wrap.

Actually, some of the joints weren't that bad.

Back to the position, Brother Pat put in some major hours. Of course, he was also covering the Lady Raiders at the time. Didn't know if he was covering them toward the end.

The A-J sports section has collected some big awards over the years. The A-J football tab is quite impressive (and a big undertaking - unless they have scaled back some coverage).

The A-J is owned by Morris. But compared to posts I've read on here about other companies, Morris doesn't seem so bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted