1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU student paper accuses asst. coach of paying a player -- then pulls story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/source-mccarthy-paid-akiem-hicks-to-come-to-lsu-1.2112267

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: LSU student paper accuses asst. coach of paying a player

I don't understand the story.

If the school chancellor is releasing a statement about the "alleged violation" can't the lede be stronger than attributing the existence of the alleged violation to an anonymous source?

3. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The fact a violation was being looked into and the assistant involved had been reported all week by multiple outlets. This is apparently the first report of what the violation is and which athlete is involved.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What?

Players being paid and cheating going on at an SEC school?

No ffffff-iinnng way!!!

What's next, Tiger Woods getting caught cheating on his wife?

Stop the fffff-iiinng presses!!!! ::)

The only thing that is surprising about this is that Lane Kiffin isn't involved.

5. ripple

ripple Member

Story's down now?

Interesting.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Rufino said, this story named the player, which no one else had done yet. Glenn Guilbeau, the Gannett News Service reporter who writes for several Louisiana papers, had a story yesterday where he narrowed it down to a handful of guys (all McCarthy recruits who had yet to play this year).

There's definitely some smoke there around Hicks, but I'm guessing a few intra-campus phone calls were made to quash the story.

7. Point of Order

The story was pretty thinly sourced to begin with. I posted it as much for the student-paper-goes-after-school's-football-program angle as much as the news itself. Wish I had copied the whole story now.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem is, the source was identified as a former player. And you had no specifics. The assistant paid the dude how much? For what?

So it seems to me that the "source" probably heard the news second- or third-hand.

That's dangerous. Could be true, but sometimes even insiders are hearing rumors that they don't realized were generated on messages boards and stuff.

9. Point of Order

I imagine that's what the girl that wrote the story is saying to herself right now. It's a tough lesson to have to learn. I forget her name but I remember her position was listed as "Chief" Sports Reporter. I feel bad for her.

It's an awfully big story to write based on one unnamed, not-well-placed source. It's never good to be wrong, but when your story might dynamite an entire coaching staff you might want to do a little more reporting before you run with it.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

According to the BR Advocate, the assistant coach in question, D.J. McCarthy has resigned:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/79028457.html

Draft saved Draft deleted