1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU football and basketball - Tiger Rag Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by LukeJohnson, Mar 12, 2014.

1. LukeJohnson

LukeJohnson New Member

Tiger Rag Magazine has an immediate opening for a position covering LSU football and men’s basketball. The right candidate would serve as the assistant editor on a two-person editorial staff and would be comfortable planning and executing sound coverage of LSU sports.

Tiger Rag has been going strong for more than 35 years, but is undergoing some positive change in regards to the design of the magazine and the editorial focus. We are the only magazine devoted solely to covering LSU sports, and in a highly competitive area that features two newspapers and multiple websites, our goal is to find unique and compelling stories on the beat that other news outlets do not have the time or resources to adequately convey.

With this in mind, the ideal candidate should be capable of both handling a daily beat and delivering long term and long form feature and enterprise stories, with the latter serving as the crux of what we’re trying to do. This position will require some long hours and dedication, particularly during football season. While the job title has “editor” in it, the duties are all-encompassing. Experience covering a college beat is preferred, but not required. The ideal candidate does not necessarily have to be an established writer, just a talented story teller. While there is no deadline for our day-to-day coverage, there are hard deadlines for our print edition, which we deliver 30 times a year.

Tiger Rag offers competitive pay and benefits, along with the opportunity to cover one of the nation’s elite college sports programs. If you wish to apply or have any questions, send a resume and a few examples of your best work to editor Luke Johnson (luke@tigerrag.com).

2. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Great place to work. Luke is talented and has a ton of great ideas for the magazine, which continues to thrive in a market that loves LSU Sports.

If anyone has any questions, email me (my user name at gmail dot com). I'm the former editor whose job Luke is now doing better than I ever did. If he can find an assistant editor who is half as good at the job as he was, he'll be alright.

Any questions, email me at this username at gmail dot com.

3. LukeJohnson

LukeJohnson New Member

Because of heavy interest in this position and a number of highly qualified candidates submitting materials, I'm only going to accept applications through this weekend (March 16).

Thank you to all who have shown interest. I'm trying to respond to everyone to let you know I've gotten your materials, but my inbox has been inundated and I'm trying to stay on top of my own work as well.

Sorry to cut this process short, y'all. But we are creatures of habit and I need y'all to meet a deadline if you're interested.

4. LukeJohnson

LukeJohnson New Member

Just wanted to fill everyone in in case I missed someone replying to all the applications. We've filled this position. Thanks to everyone who took the time to apply and patiently waited for me to get back to them with a response.

Draft saved Draft deleted