1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU Fires Brady

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writer200707, Feb 8, 2008.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is what I would like explained to me by the Keyshawn Johnson/Sean Salisbury crowd and every other person that slobbered all over themselves about Bobby Petrino quitting with three games left and what a snake he is and how he is a quitter ---- why is it OK for teams to fire guys in the middle of the season or with games left but it is not OK for guys to leave with games left?

How is one any different than the other, well, other than Bobby Petrino --- (and I find it funny that when Bobby Knight quits in the middle of the season he is celebrated as a hero) ---- is a jerk and an easy target, much the same way Barry Bonds is, so the media piles on.

But either they were wrong about Petrino or they are wrong for not taking LSU to task for not allowing the guy the rest of the season to turn things around......

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The combination of LSU's tremendous size and athleticism on defense but lack of any guard play on offense makes their games unwatchable. They're down 42-38 to Tennessee with 6-plus left. UT usually has nearly that many points with 6-plus left in the first half.

Please, for the love of Baby Jesus, give LSU a floor coach and point guard.

3. Bring back Stanley Roberts!!!

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Nobody in my camp celebrated Bobby Knight as a hero this past week.
    He quit midstream, and he's been an asshole in my book for many years anyway.
    I feel good that I never had to deal with him in a presser.
    What an apparent dickhead.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Poor VCU athletics in that they'll be fielding calls in waves until Anthony Grant gets the right chance. Chances are he'll be offered many of the wrong ones.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We'll deal with the calls. If we were 5-18, it wouldn't be a problem.

We. Heh heh heh. Oh the changes in a month.

7. Don't take his coach.
    Moddy doesn't like it when you take his coach.

[​IMG]

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm still a little pissed they wouldn't let me wear my crocs with that.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Lot harder to get in the NCAAs back then. NIT was actually a good tournament back then.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did they make THAT field ?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. In 1970, Pete's last season at LSU, the Tigers defeated Georgetown and Oklahoma in the NIT to make it to Madison Square Garden for the semifinals. Marquette defeated LSU 101-79 before defeating St. John's in the championship game.

Army defeated LSU in the third-place game, 75-68.

The season before Press and Pete Maravich arrived in Baton Rouge, the Tigers were 6-20. The next season, with Pete playing only for the freshman team (freshmen were ineligible), LSU was 3-23. The arena was packed for freshman games, then would empty out for the varsity games. When Pete finally played for the varsity in 1967-68, LSU was 14-12. His junior season, the Tigers were 13-13.

The NIT team finished 22-10.

Without Pete, LSU's varsity was 14-12 and 10-16, and Dale Brown took over as head coach for the 1972-73 season. He won the SEC in the 1978-79 season, the SEC tournament in the 1979-80 season and lost to Isiah Thomas and Indiana in the semifinals of the Final Four in 1981. Dale went back to the Final Four with an unlikely group in 1986.

Maravich averaged 44.2 points a game in varsity play -- without the 3-point line, of course. Dale Brown once said Pete's average would have been 57 ppg with a 3-point line.

A Turbo Dog to Fenian for the Apple Sanders reference. Good stuff.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I knew about the 44.2 avg.
    Pete's the patron saint of my house.
    I've got his poster (N.O. Jazz) in a central location.
    He was the most exciting player I ever saw.

Draft saved Draft deleted