1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low-income enrollment at elite private schools

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 31, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

To go to Yale or Harvard? You need a lot more than that. Not to mention a better SAT score.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK. A 1400. A 1500. The point stands. Whatever application window dressing isn't available to an inner-city student can be neutralized by a high standardized test score. It's the one chance to compete on equal footing with Suzie Prom Queen.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why do you have to go to Yale or Harvard? What's wrong with UMass or UConn?

I mean besides the fact they're in Amherst and Storrs...

4. Harvard and Yale have a no-loan policy to meet financial need.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I thought that's what this thread was about -- "elite private schools."

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not talking about financial need here. The Harvards, Yales, Stanfords, etc. are great about that. But you've got to get in. The acceptance rate at Harvard and Yale is something like eight percent.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I get that. My point is, I don't agree with the premise of the story. You don't have a constitutional right to an Ivy League education.

And there's certainly nothing wrong with a state school education.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You need more than a score to get into those schools, too. Every kid in America with a 1400 or better is applying. Less than 10 percent of them will get in.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What is a good and acceptable percentage of low-income students that a private college should have?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

As a parent with kids at and near college age and a limited budget, I am with you there.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The point is that they can compete on the score. They may not be able to take six trips to Calcutta to feed orphaned Congolese refugee monkeys. But they can compete on the score.

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Boston University is private and is at least as expensive as BC. It's a playground for rich kids (though its academics and selectivity have definitely shot up in the last couple of decades).

Draft saved Draft deleted