1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Low carb or low fat diet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 28, 2007.

1. I've got 10-15 pounds of stubborn belly fat to get rid ASAP (I plateaued a while ago despite consistent and hard cardio, etc., etc.).

Thoughts? I tried the low carb thing for a couple days but felt sluggish. Should I just stick with it anyway? Or would really watching my fat content - along with sugary sweets - get me past this?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stubborn Belly Fat would be a good name for a band.

I got nothing for you, though. Have you priced liposuction?

3. I've seen studies that show you'll lose weight both ways, but you will be healthier, keep it off longer and lose slightly more going low fat.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

If you go totally low carb, you'll drop those 10 pounds fairly quickly. If you're trying to fit into a tux for a wedding or look good for a high school reunion, that may be the way to go for a quick fix. But you can't sustain the low carb thing as a long-term lifestyle, which means it's a bad idea and a bad way to diet. In other words, you'll lose the 10 pounds but gain them back very quickly.

How much cardio are you doing? What does your diet look like now? How much are you drinking alcohol? How many sweets are you consuming? If you cut out drinking and cut out any sweets, that'll help get you over the plateau. Cutting down your starchy carbs to say one meal a day -- but not completely out -- will also help. Also, I'd advise cutting way down on dairy.

When I'm trying to lose weight, my diet will look like this:

Breakfast: A lowfat yogurt, fruit, maybe a granola bar

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with low fat dressing and no cheese. (If you miss the flavor, replace cheese with avocado or something like that)

Dinner: Grilled chicken or fish or lean pork with a steamed vegetable (broccoli, brussel sprouts, asparagus) and a reasonable portion of whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

IF you need snacks in between meals, stick with bananas, apples, carrot sticks, a handful of nuts, things like that. If you are the type of person who must have dessert, take some low fat cool whip, put it in the freezer and combine a few tablespoons with either blueberries or maybe a few chocolate chips.

Combine that diet with plenty of cardio, and the weight will come off, I guarantee you. You won't drop it all at once, but it will come off in time, and it will be way easier to keep it off.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I understand. If you do that amount of cardio, you'll pretty much be able to maintain where you're at no matter what you eat (within reason). Sounds like that's your situation.

The diet I outlined is pretty easy to maintain, even if you're short on time. The key is making things ahead of time. Go get a big thing of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cook them all at once. That will give you a huge head start. You can use them with salads, pastas, whatever, for pre-made portions that you can take with you for a lunch or dinner on-the-go.

Honestly, there's no other way to do it. There's no way to maintain a healthy diet without some inconveniences.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Neither. You need a sufficient amount of carbs and healthy fats to keep your energy stores full.

Everything in moderation.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And it's not about all carbs, it's the crappy carbs...the white stuff. Bread, pasta, sugar, potatoes. Fruits and vegetables are carbs, whole grains, brown rice...just cut out the sugar and white bread, and the beer, you'll drop 10 pounds in less than a month.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Whole wheat. No mayo. Sorry.

10. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

21 beat me to it...

11. Wheat has less "bad carbs"? I guess that's common knowledge, but I'm not to up on that.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup, what 21 said. Drink much soda? Stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted