1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loveland (Colorado) Reporter-Herald seeks non-smoking page designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hockeybeat, Sep 3, 2008.

1. reporter1

reporter1 Member

good for you

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which further illustrates my point. Smoke on my friend. I'm trying to stop but I hate others who try to infringe on my right to puff.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can't agree with you there.

So, you want to ban cars also? Because they emit things that are not good for us to breath.

Or how about in towns that have refineries, if I choose to live there why should I have to smell it? Shut those places down.

I don't mind smoking bans in restaurants and bars or anywhere inside, really, but outside? Too fucking bad.

If we're walking down the street near each other, a little smoke isn't going to kill you.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

All good points. That said, this is a private business and they can hire or not hire whoever they want for whatever reason. You hope they judge you on your talent and qualifications alone but often the world doesn't work that way. If you walk in for an interview having had your morning smoke and with the smell on you, you were warned.

On the Front Range of Colorado it is VERY hard to find a place — even outdoors and in public — to smoke without getting dirty looks or harassed in some other way. And though the weather here rivals the Pacific Northwest for my ideal, bundling up for your five-minute break in mid-winter can't be fun.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sure, walking down the street isn't too bad, I'll give you that. But if I'm in an outdoor area, say at a restaurant and downwind from someone, it's an annoyance. And all the other things you mentioned have actual benefits for society, they don't just kill the user.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHh!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. jps

jps Active Member

so, um ... what do I win?
    (secretly hoping it's the roswell gig.)

8. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

Worked in a lot of restaurants throughout college and I never got a break because during a 7pm rush you dont take breaks. However, smokers always got their five minutes to go outside and smoke a cig.

The saying always was ... I should start smoking so I can take five minute breaks ...

9. reporter1

reporter1 Member

How bout the right for the rest of us to breathe, and the biggest problem is when you smokers throw your butts on the ground. You think those simply decompose? Sickening!

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'd rather see a butt than a non-smoker spitting on that same sidewalk. Talk about disgusting.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Few things get people going like a smoking debate. But let's try to steer it back to Loveland.

12. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Brohard, assuming he's still there, is a nice guy. Loveland is a growing town. Not a particularly advanced paper in terms of design -- at least it was three years ago -- but the staff is pretty nice.

Jeremy Bloom's from this town.

Edit:

PM for questions about the location and general questions about the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted