1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love or hate the Yankees, this is cool: Bob Sheppard will return to The Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. They brought Sheppard in to do Reggie's last at-bat at Fenway.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I will unabashedly admit that one of my prized possessions is having a recording of Bob Sheppard announcing my name at Yankee Stadium.

Next to gentlemen in the dictionary there should be a picture of Bob Sheppard.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

way cool. 8) 8) 8)

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Don't be too impressed. His name is Reggie Jackson.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

cool, nonetheless. :D ;) 8)

7. jboy

jboy Guest

Attention please: We have a lost child here. Will the parents of Boom 70 please come to the ticket window and bring a change of underwear.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Great to hear he'll be back. But what was up with this random paragraph in the middle of the story:

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yeah, yeah, he's a legend but his voice has always creeped me out.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bob Sheppard is retiring:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4692179

Glad I got to hear him in person. "Voice of God" is an apt description.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, he comes off as so dignified and distinguished and raises the hair on the reader's arms even in his QUOTES. I could READ this man speak all day long.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091125&content_id=7717078&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

The saddest thing I've ever heard at Yankee Stadium was Sheppard asking for a moment of silence the morning after Josh Hancock's death. I thought that it had to be the dream of just about every ballplayer to have his name announced by Bob Sheppard at Yankee Stadium, even if they didn't realize the magnitude of the honor until it actually occurred.

And yet the first time Hancock had his name announced by Sheppard--Hancock never pitched at Yankee Stadium--it was to announce his death. So unspeakably sad.

Draft saved Draft deleted