1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Love going pro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Why couldn't you move with your daughter? Your family would have more than enough money. You could still be there to help raise her.
    And, if SI or the Times looked at your daughters clips and felt she was good enough to hire, why would the quality of the publication go down? Don't you think she'd likely receive better instruction at either of those places than any university in the country?

Same with the NCAA and NBA. I think Love, sitting on the bench, is going to receive better coaching in the NBA, than he would if he stays in college.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Love's a lottery pick. He can only lose millions by staying in school.

He'd be a fool to stick around, regardless of the silly paternalistic arguments that we know what's best for him as a person and not Love and his family.

Marginal picks are better off staying in school. Top picks are foolish to stay.

3. PCLoadLetter

An excellent point. People like to argue that players will develop more in college which is simply preposterous. In the pros they will work full-time with a pro coaching staff and trainers, as opposed to working part-time with a vastly inferior coaching staff against much weaker competition.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, it's not like Love is a typical college student anyways. Basketball probably takes up 30-40 hours a week for him, between games, practices and travel. Why should he do that for a paid education when he can do it and get paid much more. He can also put some money away to pay for college, if he wants to continue his studies.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Carmelo Anthony not spending 4 years at Syracuse had no bearing on his decision to drink and drive. Educated people across the world get DUI's.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, but explain the Don't Snitch video.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anthony participated in a Don't Snitch video because he left Syracuse after one year.

The imbecile level is off the charts on this thread.

8. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Explain Roy Tarpley, who spent four years at Michigan. Those college years did a lot for him, no?
    There's exceptions to everything, man.

9. PCLoadLetter

I have a college degree. I was never taught not to make a "no snitch" video. Don't imagine that's in the curriculum at Syracuse, either.

These are some of the most bizarre arguments I've ever heard.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Rae Carruth played four years at Colorado, didn't stop him from becoming a murderer.

Kevin Garnett didn't spend a day at college is he a bad guy?

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I'm guessing he was joking.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And how many one-and-dones or straight from high school players have been the backbone of an NBA championship team?

None.

Kobe might break that trend this year. Might.

I know Garnett is a success story, and he did have some problems in his school, too.

But to judge these straight to high school stories is to see where life has led them when they are 35-40.

Draft saved Draft deleted