1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisville help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Max Mercy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Need a little advice. I'm going to a wedding in early October in Louisville, Ky. My wife and I are looking to make a mini-vacation out of it, since we both only have two days of vacation left. Neither of us has ever been to Louisville. Any recommendations on how to make four days in the Louisville area (we'll be renting a car, and we're very willing to drive around the region a couple hours in any direction if there's something worth doing) seem like a real vacation? Relaxing is a plus, but cool stuff that has to be seen will be seen. Thanks!

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Three words: Muhammad Ali Center.

Holy shit, is that an awesome museum. Even if you're not into boxing. Wow, wow, wow.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Gotta visit the Louisville Slugger factory. I never get tired of that place . . . and I don't even like baseball!

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Churchill Downs will still be racing at that point.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Intrigued by the shape, sc? :D

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Second Ali and the Slugger Museum. At night go to Fourth Street Live for a shitload of entertainment/restaurants and the like. It's been a year and a half since I was there so they've probably added a lot more stuff, but it's worth checking out. Also I'd recommend the Louisville Science Center. I know it sounds nerdy, but they have one of the best IMAX theaters around and it's a fun place to go. If you're into live theater and such, check out the Louisville Palace.

Forgot what Mark mentioned....Churchill will be rounding out its fall meet around that time. October is a great time to go to Churchill because it's not crowded at all.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or maybe I'm just intrigued by the feel of wood in my hands.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ditto on the Slugger museum. Very, very well-done.

Also, go down to River Street and have dinner on the water. I know there's a floating Joe's Crab Shack within a short driving distance of the Ali center, and that's not the only restaurant around there. Freelance would know more, I imagine ...

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of people recommend the Louisville Slugger museum. Never been there myself.

Of course there's the Churchill Downs museum. Pretty good.

There's the Speed Museum on the campus of U of L. Also pretty good.

Check out Lexington, but go via U.S. 60(?) past Versailles and all of the big-ass horse farms.

There's bars aplenty. I'm old school -- I like Bardstown Road, and particularly, the Outlook Inn. But many swear by the new (to me since it wasn't there when I was there) bar district downtown which is pretty nice.

I've very partial to staying at the Seelbach Hotel downtown when I can.

And I'm not sure if its still there, but Sportstime Pizza in New Albany roolz hard. I also like Mark's Feed Store for "comfort" food, aka, ribs with barbeque sauce that drips down from the heavens.

EarXTacy is a decent music store on Bardstown. Wild & Wooley Video was the greatest video store of all time when VHS was predominant, not sure how its adapted to the DVD age.

You could also visit my old apartment on Grinstead Avenue. Tell the bugs Bubbler sent ya!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That may be the dirtiest thing ever said on the board. 8)

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Probably not. The fall meet generally goes through November and is only a month long.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The year I worked the fall meet it was in October. So he might just get lucky and catch a few races.

Draft saved Draft deleted