1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana: Publish Gun Info, Go To Jail, Pay $10K

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I guess it is all in presentation, but I have no problem with a paper publishing a list of public salaries or gun permit holders.

And I don't know why you would feel sorry because someone was listed as having a permit.

Now, I live in a state where you could juggle with your handguns an no one would care.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Journal News is published in Westchester County within about a half hour's drive of Newtown. The gun permit map was published about a month after the massacre.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/journal-news-removes-gun-map_n_2507382.html

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think they way they presented it was stupid, but I don't think any of the complaints about having gun ownership made public holds water.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The records were public with or without the newspaper. My only complaint is with the way the newspaper presented them -- in an irresponsible way that invited unwarranted scorn on ordinary, law-abiding people who had done nothing wrong let alone illegal.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted