1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louisiana apparently doesn't need libraries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Who needs libraries anymore? Don't they have the internet down there?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If they close the libraries in Louisiana, where are they going to keep the book?

Sorry. it was too easy.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Somehow I don't think they've ever had a Geaux to the Library campaign in Louisiana.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Heck of a job Brownie.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also any governor of California in recent years.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The city I live in is in the middle of a library brouhaha. The city took over the three libraries from the county. The logic being the city can fund and operate the libraries better than the county and state can. The downside is limited resources and a limited network. The transition recently happened, so it will probably be a while before we'll see if it works.
    For the record, the city is Santa Clarita in Los Angeles County.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I just read the article. To be more accurate, it sounds like one guy down there growing his own little prison-cop empire, waiting for the balloon to go up. And when you've got all that testosterone flooding through your brain. you don't have much time for reading or whatever folks do with those book things.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He's a really nice man, who is wildly popular and continues to be elected. I covered Concordia Parrish when I was in Natchez for quite some time.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was a bit harsh. I'm sure he is. I just got a little irked at his description of living in a county full of lazy wielders, who prefered to lounge around all day instead of working (hence the need for cut-price prison labor...)

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

YF, I appreciate your answer. I respectfully submit a village in Westchester County that sits less than 20 miles from Manhattan may not provide a fully-developed perspective on life in rural America.

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Just for the sake of accuracy, I believe in Louisiana, it's called the Li-bary.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The state doesn't operate a library system. I'm not sure why they should fund one.

The funding they have provided is not substantial. 10%, or so. You can cut just about any budget by 10% without hitting any bone.

The thread's headline is pure hyperbole. Louisiana will likely not lose a single library. Maybe they cut some hours, or employees, but they won't close.

Meanwhile, this particular Parish has been on a 22 year growth spurt, but didn't decide to fund their own library system. So, it's clearly not a priority.

But, then, when the State cuts their pittance of funding, their accused of not supporting libraries. It's silly.

It's also akin to arguments people have about all star rosters, or top 10 lists.

If you want to argue that the library funding should be restored, you also need to tell me what you want to cut to make up the difference.

Just like an all star roster, a State budget is limited.

Draft saved Draft deleted