1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. The whole show was built on the buzz about what all these mysteries they were bringing up one after the other meant. To not answer major ones is cheating.

That being said, a lot more have been answered than people give them credit for. And I always figured the answers would never be as satisfying as anyone would hope. Just a bunch of mystical b.s.

I am interested, however, to see how it all turns out for the characters.

2. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Why do my pants get tighter everytime that redheaded chic with the English accent is shown?

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

If Smokey and the MIB are different people, why does Smokey have to play by the "rules" and not kill Jacob?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but I think that's always been the rule. It's been established that the Smoke Monster, in the guise of Locke, cannot kill Jacob. And it also cannot kill the candidates to become the new protector. So it could not kill Jacob way back when and it could not kill the adoptive mother. Someone else has to be manipulated into killing the candidates or the protector.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Piotr, thanks for breezing through my questions. Perhaps you could write for the show. :)

Anyhoo, someone here asked me what questions I felt needed to be answered. Those are the ones I feel need to be answered. Not explained, answered. There is a difference.

All I need to be happy is for this show to establish basic principles that I can use to solve the mysteries and/or come up my own theories. I don't need a three-hour explanation that the numbers are part of an equation that governs yada yada yada.....

Just have Hurley ask MIB/Jacob what the deal with the numbers are (Which, IMO, he should have a vested interest in since they played a MAJOR role in his life), have MIB/Jacob say they correspond to the candidates and they're an in-joke between the two and bam, you're done. Problem solved. I'll write off every other occurance of the numbers and forget about them.

But the other things?

You say "show's not over yet" for a good deal of my questions as if you know those questions will be answered. I hope you're right. But if the show goes off the air and those aren't answered, what then?

Look, I get that this is a mystery show. I really do. I don't need to be treated with kid gloves and have an episode per mystery. Just make the explanations possible. That's all I ask.

Damon and Calton explained in their latest podcast that they won't go into big, long answer-sessions on their show because the explanations would read like the scene between Neo and the Architect in the second Matrix movie.

I get that. That's a fair reason why you shouldn't expect them to. But, to just say "Well, we're only focusing on the issues important to our characters" is a cop-out of the highest degree because no one forced them to create these mysteries. They did it themselves and if they can't resolve these issues, that's on them and them alone, no one else.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You know how they're going to answer everything? One of two ways:
    1) Huge film that comes out next summer.
    2) A massive manual-style book that helps you figure things out as you rewatch the special blue ray DVDs that come with commentary that explains a lot as well.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

AV Club is very interesting this week:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/across-the-sea,41063/

"Blackie really does seem to be the special one, not Jacob. It’s Blackie who can communicate with ghosts, not his brother. Did everything go haywire because the wrong man became The Island’s guardian?"

Hurley, Sawyer or Jack becoming Jacob's Replacement (if the series ends that way) wouldn't surprise any of us, I think. But it's interesting that Hurley and MIB have the same ability.

Again, my dream ending:

was just thinking how interesting it would be if the last scene is Hurley replacing Jacob, Jack apologizing for leaving him alone, and Hurley responding . .

"I'm not alone."

As all the souls of the Lost departed show up to thank him. Then he says,

"See you in a few months, Jack."

Jack looks at him, concerned.

BOOM! End title.

8. schiezainc

1.) That'll never happen. This series is going to be trashed come next Sunday. I admit I'm likely going to be disappointed but the bullshit casual people who check in just to say they did are going to be like "That show was stupid" once the end is revealed and, for fans like me, it'll take a while for us to truly appreciate how great it was because we're all just going to be angry that "X, Y, Z" wasn't answered.

2.) They've said they're releasing a Lost Encyclopedia. Don't know when it will come out though.

9. schiezainc

On a more positive note, I was listening to the Jay and Jack Lost Podcast today and they had an interesting theory. If the island is underwater in the sideways world, does that mean the light is extinguished?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It almost has to mean something like that. But that'd be weird, because we've had no indication that things are bad in the sideways world.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you are anti-spoiler, be *very* careful about your web browsing for awhile. The next episode was aired for a small group of fans at a special viewing party last night, and the entire synopsis is available on the web.

I hope this isn't too much to say: Some stuff happens that I wouldn't have guessed would happen until the finale.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

Rick - Does knowing or seeing spoilers in advance ruin your viewing experience when 9 p.m. rolls around on Tuesdays?

I couldn't imagine life with spoilers.

I stumbled across the spoiler that Jacob and MIB were brothers and felt it sort of ruined the birth scene for me b/c I knew there was another lil' one in there.

Draft saved Draft deleted