1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost: The Final Season (Premieres Feb. 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Reading the book excerpt published on Grantland was the first time I had actively turned my attention to the show since the finale. Loved the show when it was on, watched all six seasons live, bought into all the hype and the storytelling, marked out for Charlie and Desmond, read everything, watched every episode two or three times, talked about it with friends all over the country ... and then that last season, and that last show, and meh. Haven't been able to bring myself back to the island once since then until today.

I feel like Kate after a bearded Jack tells her they have to go back. Sepinwall is my fucking Jack.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sooo, WTF happened to Josh Holloway. I would have guessed he would have been the star coming out of the show...instead you get Hurley in bit roles....Locke here and there....Shannon in a movie or so and Ben Linus on a weird TV show....to name a few.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Go back.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lost-The-Complete-Series-Widescreen/13724207

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The more I think about Lost as a show, the more it disappoints me. I was so excited when I started watching this show on DVD after Season 2 and not only watched every show from Season 3 on live but read about it, blogged, listened to podcasts, etc.

The way it ended fucking sucked.

Now, that's not to say the finale wasn't a fantastic episode and it really did tie things up in a nice, emotional way but at the end of the experience, all I could think was "Wow, that was great!" Until I started thinking about all the things that the writers decided "weren't important" despite spending countless hours selling how important they were.

I always come back to the numbers. You can't focus as much of your show on the numbers and their vital importance to the characters and then decide that you just don't have an answer for that question or give some bullshit 22-second clip of them sprawled on a cave wall and expect that to suffice.

The numbers were one of the many things on this show that failed to live up to the hype and while I will no doubt cherish the memories I have of the excitement of this show and the moments that truly were great television (The ending to the episode 'The constant' for instance), this will always go down for me as one of the most disappointing shows I have ever watched simply because the writers essentially blue-balled all of their biggest fans by saying "All those things you cared about weren't worth caring about."

F*ck those guys.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Based on schieza's takes regarding movies and the fact he hated Lost's ending, I'm suddenly inspired to rewatch Lost with even higher expectations.

Love how the Numbers were so harped on, then and now. So many bigger fish to fry, that actually affected life and death on the show (the outrigger shootout, why babies couldn't be born on the Island, what the heck was the point of the flash-sideways?).

But hey!

NUMBERS!!!!!

The Numbers are like Freddy Adu for U.S. Soccer fans. Based on a fan's take regarding the (stupid) Numbers, you could tell the people who actually knew what they were watching, as opposed to those who merely wanted to act intelligent by screaming about the simplest "MYSTERY!!!!" the show had to offer.

6. schiezainc

Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't care about something that played such a KEY PART of the first two seasons of the show.

Let's pretend that this was a show about character development and that's why we all watched it. This isn't/wasn't Breaking Bad. This was a f**king sci fi show that centered around a mysterious island and asshats like you like to pretend the core mysteries of said island aren't important in the grand scheme because, what, Kate and Sawyer were both good at heart?

Get the f**k out of here.

Do yourself a favor, go read up on the numerous references to the numbers on the show, stop pretending like it wasn't THE shining example of lazy writing and stop jacking yourself off thinking this show was a perfect 10.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Numbers

Oh and sorry my movie/TV show tastes so insult you. I'll be sure to run out and watch whatever indie hipster bulls*it Wes Anderson is up to nowadays and pretend that it is so 'deep' and 'moving' and 'inspirational' like other jagoffs like you.

:)

7. schiezainc

Yeah, I was in on that discussion the first time and it still holds true today.

The numbers are irrelevant but they weren't portrayed that way and that's the problem. They played a major role in shaping one of the central characters of the show (Hurley) and were thrown in at various times throughout the first two seasons when it suited the writers best.

The fact that the writers used this as a crutch for intrigue and mystery for so long and then decided to just half-ass an answer has never sat well with me and speaks as, perhaps, the most clear-cut example of the poorly planned execution of this program.

Watch this video and then tell me you don't have a problem with the things this show presented and then dropped the ball on:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6099973/unanswered-lost-questions

8. schiezainc

Oh and I'll just point to my earlier post as the perfect summation of how I felt then and how I STILL feel now:

9. NDub

NDub Guest

Said it before and I'll say it again - the unsolved or unexplained mysteries don't bother me. The themes were explored, the story was told and the characters were fully arced. Everything else was just the world around. Like our world, we can't explain everything and sometimes we just don't. LOST remains my favorite show ever. Not the best one I've seen, but my favorite.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Couldn't agree more, NDub. I know many hated the finale, but I was moved by seeing characters I cared about receive their great reward -- together.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The last season and especially the last episode were horrid. I really enjoyed the show and understood that they might not be able to stick the landing with everything hanging out there. But for me there was basically no payoff.

12. schiezainc

I agree. I feel like this show was a giant, six-year long trip to the strip club. Was it fun to look at? Yes. But, in the end, the only thing you left with was an uncomfortable feeling because you got teased and teased and teased and there was no satisfactory ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted