1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lost 5/29

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 22, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would rather think it is a ship, like a boat, built around the matter that controls the time travel.

I have to rewatch it.

Oh, great tip on the ew.com article.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I had a problem with Ben frying the transporter in order to break through to the frozen wheel. Also had a problem with the lame "losing fuel" sequence. They both seemed so "un-Lost", the first because it didn't seem to make any sense, the second because it was so cliched.
    Honestly, I'm still watching the show for only one reason, I want to know what the deal is with the Big Foot. But I am glad they mentioned the other smaller island last night.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Well come on, they couldn't let an Iraqi soldier beat an American soldier. Rightwing nuts would be going crazy.

4. RedSmithClone

What would be so annoying about it. Afterall this is a science fiction show. And the title "Lost" may be in reference to "Lost in Space" minus the in space?

There were aliens on that show.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just think that would be too big of a cop out.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I have my problems with the show, but I've given up hoping for a perfect concentric circle. I'll be happy if they manage to bend this monstrosity into something resembling a complete shape.

I suppose the polar bears are from the days when the island was in the tundra. I suppose the ice deep underground is the remnants of that tundra period. But how did the island take on the appearance of a tropical landscape? Did they hire a really good botanist?

And do we know for a fact that next season will be about them trying to get back to the island? I sort of figured the main storyline would revolve around Locke and what's happening on the island. All the Oceanic 6 really need to do is find the island by learning that the numbers are coordinates and that they need to travel a straight line around the planet to find the island, or whatever it's become. Of course, the earth is slightly tilted. So that poses some issues. But you get the idea. Then again, I guess Ben might know how to get there.

I'm not sure I understand why everyone has to go back to the island. But I assume it has something to do with time.

The confusing part involves how Ben was on the island yet appeared in the sand with no island in sight. Or, if it's there, it certainly isn't the same tropical place. So how does it shift and blend in with the surroundings?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The polar bears were used in research by Dharma.

8. RedSmithClone

Maybe this isn't the first time the island/ship/Unidentified Floating Object was moved. It may have all started down near Antarctica and moves northwest each time it is moved?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's how the Black Rock wound up so far inland. The island was moved and it reappeared underneath that ship.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's pretty cool. I hadn't thought of that.

A couple of things I took from reading Jensen's recap (which I recommend; I'm also going to catch Sepinwall's when I get time):

* The time between date the island was moved and the date when Ben wakes up in the desert is 10 months. And Ben is still wearing the parka and his wound is still fresh, so we can assume that happened instantaneously. So it's a good guess that the island moved in time 10 months, too. I don't think it moved physical location.

* The small nearby island with the Dharma station on it disappeared with the big island, which would indicate the phenomenon included the area around the island, which would lead us to believe Faraday's raft probably made the jump.

And again, Lindelof and Cuse have been very adamant that they won't be pulling the "we'll just go back in time and keep Jin from dying" kind of stuff with the time travel element. It would ruin the show and make all the dramatic stakes meaningless, because then the viewer says, "Oh, they'll just go back in time and make that not happen." This show has killed at least a dozen major characters -- why wouldn't Jin just be dead? For them to have him miraculously survive the explosion would be really hokey.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be a miracle for Jin to survive. I watched the explosion in slow-mo. The back half of the ship (where he was standing) was intact after the explosion. Then they cut to Sun's reaction. When they cut back to the ship, it was sinking.

So, to me, it's conceivable he was blown off the stern and grabbed onto some wreckage to survive.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Do you mean "the numbers" numbers? Wow. That's wild. Might explain the polar bear in the desert from back the beginning of this season. And possibly how Ben lands where he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted