1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Losing pitcher"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, May 3, 2009.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

All the more reason to love the coaches who aren't afraid to be honest about their players, like the time a reporter asked D-I baseball coach of the team I was covering how their star pitcher had been dealing with his injury and handling the rehabilitation, and got the response:

"Well, not very well. He's handled like a small child would -- he's hurting and he wants everyone to know about it."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would say that it's an own goal, but I don't know if I would use the player's name based on just a phone call from the coach.

Was she was just clearing it back to the keeper who just wasn't looking?

Was it a hard shot that simply deflected off her?

Not being there, it's hard to determine that the defender "scored an own goal that decided the game."

I would have left her name out unless I had seen it.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That's reasonable. If it happens again, this will certainly cross my mind. However, the home coach called the game in and gave the info about his own defender. If an opposing coach reported it, I would be less likely to report it.

4. stix

stix Well-Known Member

LOL.

God, that reminds me of a D-3 baseball coach in the area of the paper I used to work for. Funny-ass mother-fucker, chain-smoking, just down-to-earth guy. The best quote you could ever imagine. Always told it like it was, never beat around the bush.

He ran a VERY successful program, several times have made it to the D-3 World Series. I was covering it one year when they were in it, and his team lost to snap something like a 20-game losing streak. I remember asking him about the streak ending, and he laughed and said something like, "Fuck, we just won 20 games in a row. To be honest, I'm shocked that we even did that, and I was waiting for us to finally lose a damn game. That's baseball."

Also remember him protesting a call by the ump. I asked him about it afterwards, and he said something like, "Sometimes you just have to argue with the umps just to argue. By the time I got out there, I didn't even know what the hell I was arguing."

Great guy, never took anything too seriously, understood the game, ran an immensely successful program....I think other idiot coaches could learn a lesson.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

First off, tell the parents they're full of shit because kids don't read newspapers. Second, it's soccer and nobody gives a shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted