1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Sports Reporters/Writers/Journalists needed. Huge Site Opening

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by ReportSide, Jun 13, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The OP would be well-advised to take this to heart. I've seen impressive resume packets sent to the circular file with grammar and spelling errors such as seen here. Questions about salary, benefits and especially backing are legitimate questions that should not be brushed off, especially in the current media economy.

But to think we're supposed to oooh and ahhh over getting credentials? Two words: Coaches Aid.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who are you, ReportSide?
    What are your accrued career accomplishments?

What is your start-up financing, and how substantial is it?
    And what is your specific business plan in a crowded, competitive market?

Legitimate questions for any legitimate start-up venture.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Minor edit for you. No charge.

4. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

It's not a matter of "insane people," ReportSide. It boils down to the audience. Posting a journo job sans importatnt details on a journo-related message board will draw the questions. You basically told a bunch of journos our mother loves us. Of course, we're going to double check and get more info.

5. ReportSide

ReportSide New Member

How is it not an applicant's business where the money is coming from? They want to know they'll get paid. There's not a lot of assurance of that in the Internet world.

People here, for the most part, are professional journalists. They want to know something is credible. Start-up sites are a dime a dozen. The fact you're paying is better than most, but you have to understand the skepticism.

And let's face it, your posts are filled with grammatical errors, which don't make you, in particular, look credible, especially considering the fact you're writing to journalists.

I understand that you might be the business brain behind the thing, but for God's sake, learn how to capitalize and spell before you represent your company, or your company will look bad.

If you want people to take you seriously as an employer, have the courtesy to make yourself look like you have at least high school education. Honestly, your first few posts, I wasn't convinced English was your first language.
    [/quote]

My partners and I have successful businesses in other sectors so that is where the funding is coming from.
    Thanks for the grammar compliments.

6. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

this Have many sign of good chances for us in sports bizeness. Mine hopes of succeeding application for soon to be most amazing world website.

Am I hired?

7. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I am also skeptical because of the capitalizing of Media Reporters and Credentials and Credible, but added to that was an inquiry I received about which events I had covered as a credentialed media member when I had already informed ReportSide that I have covered a Super Bowl, two NCAA basketball tournaments, three NCAA wrestling tournaments, NHL, MLB and other NCAA basketball, football and baseball events. So, yeah, if you want to be taken seriously, don't ask for information that's already been provided and proofread your stuff before you post it.
    I hope this succeeds, and if it does, it actually would be a great job. But we all have our doubts for another start-up website in an already saturated field.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Good luck on your new venture, Dave Barry!

9. MicahMcVicker

MicahMcVicker New Member

I'm interested in this opportunity! I graduated from IU-Bloomington last month and have since been contributing to www.indiana.rivals.com. Do I have a sufficient following to apply?
    Submit a résumé and how many clips? My email address is Micah.McVicker@gmail.com.
    Thank you.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

My partners and I have successful businesses in other sectors so that is where the funding is coming from.
    Thanks for the grammar compliments.
    [/quote]

For someone who is starting up an Internet business, it seems you'd be able to get the coding right so the quote would read properly.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

ReportSide still isn't telling us shit.

Better get paid in cash.

12. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

But but but they reported today that the Clippers are on the verge of hiring Lionel Hollins a mere hour after Marc Spears of Yahoo reported he had completed an interview in Los Angeles.

Draft saved Draft deleted