1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Los Angeles Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by highlander, Dec 19, 2010.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I second the Getty. Even if you don't like art museums, that place is phenomenal.

2. highlander

highlander Member

Any museum interests me. Minored in history. Think I took dang near every US and European course available.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Then definitely try to hit up the Getty. Oh, and of course, In-N-Out. I'll be back out there in a couple of days, rain gear in hand.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

La Brea Tar Pits.

Hollywood Walk of Fame.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Not sure if this is feasible, but your best best for seeing a lot would be to stay somewhere else. I know it's the Sunday after New Year's, but a traffic jam can strike anywhere in LA, at any time. It might be only 15 miles from Commerce to Hollywood, or to Santa Monica, but the drive can take an hour if you hit a rough patch. Maybe you can try Priceline a couple days before. Also, if you decide to focus on Hollywood, the best bet is the subway red line ... don't laugh, the LA subway ... and you could stay anywhere along the subway lines. The gold line gets you to Pasadena.

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/metro_metrolink_map.pdf

6. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks but I'm pretty much locked in to the hotel. It's a group rate we got for the Rose Bowl.

7. maberger

maberger Member

you like dim sum?
    from where you're staying, you're only like 20 minutes away from the best of LA in monterey park.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

On the less touristy side would be a hooker, 2-3 grams of blow and a cheap room in Santa Monica.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bring an ark with you to Langer's.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/12/flooding_at_7th_and_alvar.php

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

If you don't want to take Sunset Blvd. to the PCH, take Santa Monica Blvd. instead. Start at the Beverly Hilton (corner of Sunset and Santa Monica). Less touristy in some areas – real people! – but endlessly fascinating. Work your way down to the PCH, walk on the beach, then go to Malibu. Feel free to sit on the edge of a rock and watch the ocean crash against it. Watch the people. Drive past Malibu up the PCH on the way to Santa Barbara, up to where it turns inland at the end of Point Mugu State Park, if you have time. The whole trip is heaven on earth.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No worries; now the sidewalks around the park won't smell like piss...for at least a couple of days.

12. highlander

highlander Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Not long until I leave. Just three more papers to put out. I love Top 10 Stories of the Year. I was lucky and found a rent car for 80 bucks thanks to a discount code someone posted on another board.

Draft saved Draft deleted