1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lord.......you can take me now....I've seen it all.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Oct 29, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Agree. Was being sarcastic. The minimum wage is pretty much impossible for an adult to live on. But if it is raised to even $12 an hour, it kind of does reward employees like those you described.

schiezainc likes this.
  2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

This thread has inspired me to set up Apple pay on my iPhone and buy something that costs less than $1.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's not technically legal in some places, though stores do it anyway.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I used to think it was illegal to charge people to use their debit/credit cards, but many gas stations in my area charge 50 cents to pay with debit and up to 10 cents per gallon for credit.

Even our favorite taco shop charges $1 to pay with credit/debit

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My understanding is that some places have laws that you either take credit cards or you don't. I don't know about surcharges.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why this shit is regulated in any way is beyond ridiculous -- people should decide for themselves how they want to transact.

But there actually is a Federal law that allows merchants to dictate a minimum purchase of up to $10, which as passed within the last 5 years. Before then, the thing prohibiting merchants from setting minimum card transactions wasn't a law making it illegal -- it was the card network agreements. If you offered payment by Visa or Mastercard, your agreement with the card network prohibited you from setting a minimum purchase for a credit card transaction.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Guy I work with said gas stations also can't charge more for credit than cash or aren't supposed to. Seems many do, would think the majority. I always pay cash for gas because every so often you read about some dirtbag who used the machine that copies your card number.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Many stations certainly do charge more for credit card purchases. You see a HUGE sign that says $1.95 (or whatever) per gallon, but that's the cash-only price. When you get up to the pump, it's actually $1.99 if you're using a card.

They figure they'll knock a few cents off the price if you have come into the station and maybe buy a soft drink, a bag of chips or whatever.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. CANNOT STAND. People bring in a handful of winners for a dollar or two, or a free ticket, and the cashier has to process them all. THEN, they don't know what scratch-offs they want. "What's your newest dollar ticket? What are the last 2 numbers on the serial number?" Seriously, I wish they had stores dedicated just to the lottery. I have seen a few of them, but the convenience stores are the worst.

I have snuck in and out of McD's many, many times when I just needed to use the restroom.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dairy Queen is good that way as well. Many of them have a bathroom down a hallway just as you walk in the side door. There's a separate door to get into the dining room.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, you seem to have something against pickles. ???

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Appreciates the clandestine nature of fast food bathrooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted