1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Lopez Tonight" gets the axe.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by apeman33, Aug 10, 2011.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The last show is Thursday night.
    -----

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wonder if Conan still thinks Leno was an asshole for agreeing to host a show that would bump another host to a less-attractive time slot...

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Lopez just isn't funny. And neither is Conan if you ask me.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed by this, including George Lopez.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a Lopez fan, but I know a lot of people who watch him.

I watch Conan once in a while, but his monologue is too long.

6. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I never found George Lopez to be funny. Nor do I think Conan is funny. I seem to recall that it was being made out Lopez was OK with being bumped in order to get Conan to TBS. That's what was stated publically at the time but Lopez had to know he was going to be hurt by having to go on after the much-hyped Conan. I wonder if TBS would have the balls to cancel Conan, considering all the money they gave him. I would imagine they have no choice but to stick with him. Leno was made out by many to be the bad guy, especially on this site, but I've always found him to be funny. I imagine Lopez had to know this was coming and maybe that's why he was in a cranky mood when he was dizzing Leno recently.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I literally can't formulate a real response to this.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Good.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

From what I've read on Deadline Hollywood, it sounds like Conan actually bought Lopez some time. The thinking was that Conan would bring viewers to TBS and they would hang in for Lopez. It didn't happen that way, but it doesn't sound like Lopez would have lasted any longer at 11 p.m.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Seriously, how any could figure this to be Conan's fault is beyond me. No matter what you think of Conan, there's no way anyone with even the most faint sense of humor can find Lopez funny. Nothing sends me scrambling for a remote faster than the realization that Lopez is about to come on, not the Kardashians or Teen Mom or even -- I shit you not -- Nancy Grace.

Anyone that blames this on Conan has never seen a solitary second of Lopez's show.

And Leno sucks.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Maybe the Lopez cult will start screaming about how he was doomed by the lousy lead-in.

Draft saved Draft deleted