1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

loopy, the proud papa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Apr 24, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the 'mike lupica biofile' thread has been locked, but his timing couldn't have been better after my post regarding how obnoxious his shoutouts to his family have become. today's 'shooting from the lip' ended thusly:

'-- Finally Sunday, a happy 21st birthday to my son, Alex.
    This is one of those occasions that makes you go back and look at the old photographs, from times in his life when he wasn't close to being 21 years old.
    And so it is the kind of occasion that makes you want to somehow travel back in time, to those times.
    But then you look at who he is now, the young man that he has become, and know you would have signed on for all of it in a heartbeat.'

gag me.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, Shockey...without the context of it being Lupica, would those 92 words bother us that much? If those word were written by a board favorite?

If I wrote that kind of column and my son turned 21, I don't know that it wouldn't find its way in there.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree with SF. Unless there's going to be a blanket edict of no personality/humanity in columns ever at any time, this one seems like a natural, and something that any metro columnist with a decade or more at his current place would indulge in.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

if it was a one-time deal, no prob. but it's on every birthday, every anniversary, every mother's day, every father's day... ENOUGH! why does he think anyone outside his family gives a crap? this is also in context to the post about loopy bragging about how his fave event is the 'final four' because all his kids join him for the games -- while the rest of the world has to wait to see if the lottery or whatever falls their way. listen, i dont mind when anyone in the biz uses their connections to have a loved one attend a super bowl or any other big event they're lucky enough to cover. it's one of the perks of being in the business, having better access to buying tickets to big events...

but we don't need the highest-paid guy in the biz bragging about what a great family he has and how much they enjoy their time together at big events most people don't have access to, or pretending/boasting to have a great family and declare so on a pretty big stage at every possible turn.

i know i'm not the only person repelled by this. and i cannot think of any other journo who's shop lets them do this at every turn. a special occasion, like a college graduation or wedding or birth of a grandchild? maybe, though i don't know any others who do it or are allowed to do it. and it's never a simple 'happy birthday' or 'happy mother's day' with a loving wink and smile. there's always a hallmark greeting-style message attached.

again, gag me. please.

again, sf, if it was a simple shoutout for a child turning 21, i understand the impulse. but loopy does it ON EVERY FREAKIN' BIRTHDAY FOR HIS KIDS, which comes to a lot of shoutouts in a year when you've got a million kids. i can accept almost any personal shoutout as a one-time deal. i don't want to be hit in the head with a shovel at every freakin' turn...

5. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Does Lil Shockey read Lupica?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

nah. but all shockey's three stooges would no doubt like a shot at one of loopy's kids if they did.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Shockey: I get the point that if it were the one time, that would be one thing, but unfortunately, this is one of hundreds.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

His name is Luppy.[/boom]

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

At some point, we need to have a discussion and ruling on this.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Alex is the son who did not make his grade school travel team and Luppy started his own.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Really, Shockey? You are going to complain about someone using a forum to incessantly talk family?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you choose to tune into Springer, don't be indignant about the woman on the stripper pole. One knows what one is getting into

Draft saved Draft deleted