1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loon takes over Komen Foundation, cuts off Planned Parenthood funding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 31, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've supported my last susan komen three day among all the mommies I know.

"No thanks, there are better causes for me to support. Good luck."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When I was at Continental Airlines, our CEO Gordon Bethune, was the chairman of the Gulf Coast region's fundraising efforts one year. (Ken Lay had been the chairman the year before, and unsurprisingly, raised a shit ton of money.)

It was made very clear that you should donate to the United Way if you valued your career and wanted to advance within the company.

Personally, I think the United Way rivals the NCAA as an institution with few redeeming values. I chose not to donate. And, I was not afraid to express my issues with them.

It can be a pain in the ass, but I would not expect anyone to support a charity they did not agree with. How to spend your charitable dollars is a very personal decision.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The Komen liars have no problem donating to Child Molestation U, which is also under investigation:

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/komen-foundation-gave-75-million-grant-penn-state

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I haven't decided yet. One friend has switched over and is doing the Avon walk now. But another friend is doing the SGK in three cities, so she needs to raise a lot of money. She's posted a few obnoxious comments about this whole situation, so I'm pretty annoyed with her, as are several of her other friends, based on what people have posted on Facebook. I'll wait and see how things shake out before I decide what to do.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

CT branch of Komen gives the national foundation a big FU and says funding for Planned Parenthood won't be pulled in state:

http://nhregister.com/articles/2012/02/02/news/doc4f2b21ecd7ca4333847903.txt

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

How is this on her? A simple Google search will tell you what she thinks. She's doing what her bosses hired her to do.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

+1,000. "Awareness" is such an incorrect word and drives me nuts.

My last newspaper did a special section -- printed in pink, no less -- about breast cancer for two straight years (maybe they're still doing it; it was an advertising slam-dunk with medical folks). Everyone including the sports staff had to write stories about local survivors.

I interviewed a former h.s. principal who just shredded the breast cancer culture similar to that book/movie. She absolutely hated all the pink, the ribbons, walks, all of it, and that hatred kind of fueled her recovery in an odd way. She refused to be part of a movement. I wrote her story just as she would have wanted me to. The editors spiked it.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/14/magazine/14FOB-wwln-t.html

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember that story. Good stuff.

And yeah, once the NFL embraces your cause -- and for a month, no less -- it's really time to retire the word "awareness."

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just saw FB note from a Bay Area person on their mailing list who says all California branches oppose the move and are discussing their options.

Draft saved Draft deleted