1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Loon takes over Komen Foundation, cuts off Planned Parenthood funding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's not about having other options (though there aren't really a lot of them in most places).

It's about the statement this is. The Susan G. Komen Foundation has withdrawn a grant from Planned Parenthood. This is not a move such an organization should make.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is a damn tough time to be fund-raising, and every organization is looking at keeping its base first and foremost. (Not unlike politics.) It would stand to reason that the people most interested in breast cancer are the people most interested in women's health in general, and the vast majority of those people are pro-choice politically. This is going to have a huge effect on donations. I wouldn't be surprised to see the VP gone in a matter of weeks.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Yes, let's all scold Planned Parenthood for providing women with a LEGAL OPTION.

4. Where did you find that info?
    I have looked many times and couldn't find anything.

5. dmc

dmc Guest

The article stated this as the reason for the cutoff...

"Komen spokeswoman Leslie Aun said earlier that the cutoff results from the charity's newly adopted criteria barring grants to organizations that are under investigation by local, state or federal authorities. According to the organization, this applies to Planned Parenthood since it's the focus of an inquiry, launched by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), seeking to determine whether public money was improperly spent on abortions. Stearns' probe of Planned Parenthood and its handling of federal money had been urged by the anti-abortion group Americans United for Life."

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The ladies can come to my house and get them for free! HI-YO!

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It was a year or so ago, a friend had sent me a link. It wasn't directly from them. I'll google around and see what I can come up with.

8. Please.
    Thanks.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Komen Foundation = Livestrong for boobs.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wow. What a coincidence.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

One of Forbes' 20 least efficient large charities in 2011

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mjf45feeh/use-the-internet-2/#content

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

If you are ever interested in that information on any non-profit, you can do a search at Charity Navigator. FYI, according to Charity Navigator, Susan G. Komen for the Cure spends 80.5% of its annual budget on programs and services (that puts it in the top 30% of all charities). By comparison, program expenses make up 71.6% of the budget of the American Red Cross.

All of that being said, Susan G. Komen for the Cure has absolutely screwed this up and has let an executive with an agenda make it more difficult for at-risk/lower-income women to catch breast cancer at the earliest stages. They get no money from me until the policy is reversed and this nitwit VP is axed.

Draft saved Draft deleted