1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like it's gonna be Oden...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, Jun 27, 2007.

1. dargan

dargan Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2919041

Can't blame 'em for it, although Durant would have been a good choice, too. Oden gets the nod because of his defense, in my opinion.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You HAVE to take the center. This is a no-brainer, in my opinion. When in doubt, go with the big man. The league is full of 6-8, 6-9 slasher/shooter/scorers and has precious few quality centers.

3. dargan

dargan Active Member

Agree. The big man is the most precious asset in basketball, maybe in all of team sports. I saw Durant twice this year and he was totally ridiculous. It's a whole different feeling seeing him in person and watching him on TV. That said, you gotta take Oden.

4. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

probably will be oden but not so fast says the oregonian:

Oden's agent: "We haven't been told ...' (Updated)
    Posted by Jason Quick June 27, 2007 20:09PM
    Categories: Breaking News, Draft news

The agent of Greg Oden refuted an ESPN report that said the Trail Blazers have informed Oden's camp that they will pick him No. 1 in Thursday's NBA draft.

"We haven't been told that,'' Mike Conley, Sr. said late Wednesday night. "(ESPN) can have their opinion, but the Blazers haven't told us anything.''

Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard was emphatic Wednesday night that the ESPN report was erroneous.

"Nobody has been promised or told anything. Nobody,'' Pritchard said.

5. Why would they tell the guy they're not going to pick him?

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I don't know why people have been treating this as though it's some kind of mystery as to who the Blazers will take. It's going to be Oden. It was always going to be Oden. End of story.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm probably the only guy who would take Durrant.

Centres can't take over the game unless someone gives them the ball.

Guys like Durrant can because they have the ball.

I think supporting cast means less to the guards/forwards than it does to the centres.

No, please, don't bring up Shaq. He's a freak.

Although, big men can change the game (i.e. defence, as someone mentioned).

If I'm management or ownership, I push for Durrant because fans don't want to sit in the stands and wait 20 seconds for a big to get open when a Durrant can slash to the basket or shoot.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rick Reilly (fixed) was saying the Blazers shouldn't pick Oden on Dan Patrick's show, like it was a reach. His argument was easily swatted away when Patrick said a player with Durant's skills is far more likely to be available in an upcoming draft than another Oden. I really don't get Reilly's appeal.

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

That's a good point, too.

It's really 50/50. And Patrick is right. If the Blazers fail miserably with Oden, they are a year away from the next lottery and next Durrant, I suppose.

10. accguy

accguy Member

My Eastern Conference scout I talk to said this several months ago: I'll bet my entire salary that Oden is number one. There's no decision.

And this guy studies college players pretty much every single day.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Of course, ESPN may be wrong. But more likely the Blazers have decided on Oden and just haven't told anybody. It would be better to wrong about Oden than to be wrong about Durrant.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

ESPN has it made. Since it's going to be Oden, they'll just say the got the scoop, even though everyone is denying it right now and they may have gotten bad information.

Draft saved Draft deleted