1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looks like I picked the wrong day to ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Feb 4, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. Kinda what I was getting at there, LTL. :)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Usually, when you write the glowing column about the athlete turning his life around, you don't regret what a sucker you were for two months or so.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

YOU THE MAN!!!!

Folks, you're missing something if you don't click on that link.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do I understand this correctly - Whitlock wrote a column on Irvin and it was killed before it hit the papers?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So if she filed a police report right after it happened, why does it take 2 1/2 years to come out?

7. The Big Ragu

Supposedly, she went to the police a few weeks later and there was no forensic evidence or surveillance video, and it was down to a she said/he said. Also again supposedly, the woman signed a waiver of prosecution. That doesn't mean they can't still pursue a criminal case, but I am guessing with no evidence of anything and her signing a piece of paper saying she wanted it behind her, for the cops it was case closed before it was ever even opened.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Went to high school with the woman who falsely accused Irvin of rape a little more than 10 years ago.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Or so you thought, LBJ.

Anyway, how embarrassing! "Michael Irvin talked to me (me!) for 40 minutes, therefore he is a magnate for virtue in professional sports despite all prior evidence to the contrary." Star-struck J-dub got played; it's unethical to pull the column so he can save face.

Also, it's very troubling how quickly some people here can rationalize, excuse, cover for a potential rapist by inventing hypotheticals out of whole cloth that all go in the same direction. It isn't enough to say that this is a very serious charge and that we should wait and see what facts come out. No, you have to invent woulda shoulda couldas that exonerate him, vilify her and everyone else he might have victimized. I'm seeing the invention of a conspiracy theory in progress; a transcendental persecution complex on behalf of Irvin. I honestly think there are some people who, if you got deep down in their soul, think rape is okay. And it disturbs me.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Her story was BS. She later said she made it up.

Irvin was (in the words of his learned buddy Emmitt) an "escape goat."

11. The Big Ragu

But deep in your soul you condone rape. Fess up.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Point - You do know he's been accused of this kind of thing before and completely exonerated, right? The accuser retracting and all?

Geez - Presumption of innocence? Tell me you're an assistant DA somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted