1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to get started...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ghtd36, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Is there one.

And kiddies, don't think you have to, or deserve to, work for the New York Times right out of school. PLenty of "effin' studs' work at smaller papers and do jut fine.

These beat writers may get nice gigs right out of school, but you learn a lot more about the newspaper business, and learning to do lots of different things, at a smaller paper.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I worked with three Missouri grads -- two who were outstanding writers and taught me a ton of good shit at my first shop when I was a young big-shot, and one at a stop after that who was a lazy, negative, nose-picking loser who did nothing but drag me down in the depths with him every day at work until he thankfully left. Fortunately he left the business. Sounds to me like you are more of the former instead of the latter, so I'm going to encourage you to ignore the jokers here and keep on keeping on.

That said, get another major metro internship, show them that you're ready and can do the job. Do everything you can do. Get pro assignments. Edit copy. Shoot video. Upload Web sites. Show me you can do everything. You may get hired on. You may end up at a midsize daily for your first job. If you do, absolutely do not stay there beyond 1-2 years, and then make a lateral move if you must. Nothing worse than staying at a mid-size too long...you get a label and then you WILL be a miserable bastard stuck in North Dakota.

Also, as another person said here, make contacts. Get to know "good" people. I went to a school known where I lived as "No Knowledge State College" and had I not had some great contacts and been able to work during college at a large metro daily, I'd have been lucky to work for the Podunk Weekly upon graduation. Fortunately, I knew some "kingmakers" and they helped me get a job at a very nice mid-sized daily shortly after graduation. Whether you're a Mizzou alum or a Nowhere State University grad like myself, the contacts can mean everything.

Good luck, kid.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Get your law school application in by Dec. 31.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Again, cyanide tablets are available down the hall.

5. ghtd36

ghtd36 New Member

Thanks for all of the advice. I really appreciate it, and I've got some great ideas as to what to do.

Cynicism, law school applications and cyanide be damned; naivete, here I come!

I'm also amused at the research into my handle, especially the sense of Pinocchio syndrome (is he a real boy?).

Anyways, thanks a lot, ST! If you have any more advice, please feel free to add! Anything will help! Even addresses for cyanide dealers!

6. I'll graduate in May (from a school with a, say, less-than-stellar journalism program).

I'll have almost five years experience at a 40,000 circ. paper. I've covered state championships, MLB games, NFL games, the Cotton Bowl, Texas vs. Ohio State (2006), had stories picked up by AP, design page one four to five days a week, redesigned and laid out a 44-page broadsheet section, will have good connections, great references, got promoted to full-time a year before I graduated college, yada yada yada ...

... and none of it is going to guarantee me a better job in May (or soon after).

Don't bank on anything. I used to think I was going to land a big-time job at a big-time paper right when I graduate because I was "an effin' stud." But I know I'm not promised anything. I've learned over the past few years that there is always going to be someone who writes better than I do or has a "better" gig than I do, and that there is going to always be a bigger stud. I still have the same dreams, but I know what it's going to take to get there.

I'm the same age as you, but if I can offer some advice: work hard, write as much and as well as you can all the time, and just talk to as many people as you can. Half of getting a new job will be about who you know, and the other half is how good you are. No editor I've ever talked to (or writer on behalf) gives a crap about where you went to school or what your GPA was.

Best of luck. And don't let any of these guys scare you off. If you love what you do, do it. I, along with many others, got into this knowing I wasn't going to drive Escalades and live in 4,000 square-foot houses (until my wife gets a killer job, ha ha). It's about doing what you want to do every day for the rest of your life.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

There wasn't much research necessary. I think it's pretty easy to spot a paw print after trying to memorize friends' e-mails for a few years. It's those last three random letter and number combos that give them away.

Another tip: Try to string or get picked up part time at a local paper after you graduate and you're living at home or are still in your college town. I had an internship after graduating, then lived at home for about two months before I found a job. A week or two before my internship ended I sent packets with clips and resumes to all the dallies or bi-weeklies within 30 miles of my house, and e-mailed the SEs to see if there was any chance they had full-, part-time, or stringing opps. Only one paper responded, but they picked me up as a stringer. Sure, most of the games I covered were 30-45 minutes away, if not more, but I was staying fresh and was being tested on deadline. The SE would often throw me 4 or 5 assignments a week because he knew I didn't have a full-time job. Doing this allowed me to hit the ground running when I landed a job, especially since I had a copy editing internship, so had a few months off from writing. Also, I had plenty of time to apply for jobs during the day, and I think it showed some initiative on my part. I had limited experience covering high schools and keeping my own stats, now I was doing it multiple times a week. I learned new skills, and telling an editor during an interview that you were stringing and cover high schools (like i would be for them) sounded a lot better than, "Well, since my internship ended I've been sleeping in until 1:30 every day, laying on the couch for a few hours, then going out with friends." I did do that too, but I think the stringing made doing that sound better. Not to mention it was good money.

Draft saved Draft deleted