1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to get started...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ghtd36, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Some are, but by no means all are. When I left MU I thought I was a stud, by no means an effin' one. I still think I'm good, but the real world adjusts that view. When you apply for about 30 jobs, get interviews with three, and never hear from some, things change.

Another bit of advice. Don't be too selective with where you apply. I had a place where I knew I didn't want to work, but getting that interview experience helps. As Bob said, don't be afraid to apply to smaller places. I bet it was tough getting your internships, but you only had to compete against college kids for those. For jobs you are going against all recent grads, people at smaller papers, at weeklies, and people who are trying to break into journalism from different fields, so the pool of applicants is a lot bigger.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know what it's like now but from what I recall, the Tribune sometimes took on students to do agate. Ok, after big internships, that sounds like a step down. You'll get paid, though, and it can't hurt your resume.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

In addition to the good advice above, I would reccommend having a last-ditch option. Some way to pay off grad school, or stringing opportunities in a place where you can get by on those wages with a part-time job on the side.

Also, if you're from Mizzou, I'm sure you've got adequate skills in news reporting. I wouldn't avoid taking a good non-sports job if it comes along.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can offer some advice as to what to wear to an interview for a lasting first impression:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd offer something, but some of y'all depress me a little too much.

I hear cyanide is quite affordable these days.

No.

ght, I'll offer this: I'm no f'in stud, and I make a pretty good, comfortable living. Good luck to you.

Apply for anything; it cannot hurt. Bombard the bastards with resumes. Apply to 70 different places.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

don't work for any newspaper chain that gets bashed frequently here.

8. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Estreet,
    That doesn't leave people many options.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

isn't the staff SE's name at mizzou, greg?

i hope an educational study isn't taking place via this thread.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Greg Bowers is the SE at the Missourian. I doubt this is an educational study, ghtd36 is a Mizzou student id. I looked it up on the school's Web site and it's an e-mail / "Paw Print" for a senior named Greg.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks J. glad to see this isn't a study. so, with that, i'll dig into the vault:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34197/

live the dream, chief, live the dream.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Greg,

As a recent college graduate (May), hopefully my advice is relevant.

1) I graduated from a mediocre J-school with a a pretty good resume. A major metro in-semester internship. SE, ME and Adviser gig at my school rag. Tons of freelance work for some big papers. S I on Campus. A ton of connections. Finaist for the NYT internship.
    And, still, I landed at a 40K 2000 miles from home, where I didn't know a soul.
    I thought I was the hottest of shit coming out of college, an effin effin effin stud.
    And then I saw Teddy Kider (22 or 23) from Northwestern get the Hornets beat for the NO Times-Picayune straight out of college. And then I saw Jonathan Abrams (23) get the the Clippers beat for the LA Times.
    I ain't hot shit.
    2) Three months after I got my first gig — which was a great learning experience and opportunity, though a tough life away from family — I got a job at a major metro doing 3/5 writing and 2/5 agate. Things are going really well at the new place, but I thank my damned lucky stars every single day that I have this job.
    The only reason I got it was because of a very, very important contact.
    USE YOURS FOR ALL THEY'RE WORTH.
    3) Learn agate. Now. Learn Pagemaker/Quark/In Design. Now.
    4) Whenever ANYTHING comes to Mizzou — men's bball, women's bball, track, softball, anything — send an email to the local paper for the visiting team, and try to get freelance. That's how I got my first job.
    5) This is the most important: Ask yourself if you're really willing to leave your friends and family for this career. If you arre, blanket your applications across the country.

Absolutely feel free to message me for more information. Don't be too put off by some of these guys, they've forgotten what it's like to be 23 again. Or 22. Or, shit, 21. Damnit, now I feel like I'm getting old.

Good luck and take care...

Draft saved Draft deleted