1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking to buy a GPS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At risk of slipping into Spnited territory, I got my GPS right here.

[​IMG]

The day I drop coin on GPS is the day I might as well cut my balls off.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Get a Blackberry and download Google Maps for free. Navigation with traffic conditions and turn by turn directions. All for $0.00.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I just got the new Blackberry Curve. It has a GPS on it that seems to work great.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone ever do the geocache thing? That sounds like it may be fun to do with kids on a trip.

Not sure what kind of GPS would work best for that and also be semi-useful in a car.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mapquest and Google Maps have both screwed me over royally on road trips, especially when trying to drive in a strange city at night.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Bubbler, the '04 version works well for me too. Plus, I've covered the team long enough to know the routes to conference schools by memory.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Just because you have a GPS doesn't mean you have to bow down to the altar of GPS-dom. I still map out routes and plug them into the GPS.

Taking a trip tomorrow and I'm adding several waypoints to my GPS route, one for the town with cheapest gas between here and there, another for White Castle and a third for 7 eleven (don't have either of those where I live).

I mainly use mine to see how far I have to go, and for driving in foreign cities. When I'm on the interstate I make sure I'm on a route I want to take and not whatever the GPS suggests.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have a Garmin C320 and love it.
    I'm doing a Florida trip next month and am renting a car and will use it.
    I have Google Maps on my Treo but the screen is so small and it doesn't have GPS, only directions.
    Smokey, how do you set up waypoints? I would love to hit every 7-11 I see for a Slurpee.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

This is all I need right here...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. BBJones

BBJones Guest

I am amazed at the amount of money -- particularly on a board full of professionals in a notoriosly tightway profession -- people have to blow. Seriously, $220 for an electronic map?

I wish I had that laying around. And I certainly wouldn't buy an electronic map.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I was able to get mine for free, otherwise I never would have gotten it at this time. (It has to do with my current job.)

I like the "Points of Interest" function. Gas stations, food, touristy stuff, I could have used that on my trip to St. Louis two years ago.

Geocaching. Mr. Rosie and the Rosebuds are very much into it. I've gone with them a few times, and it is fun, but I'm not obsessed like they are. When I got my Nuvi, Mr. Rosie asked me if I had put any geocaches in it yet. When I told him no, he replied, "Then what good is it?"

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I bought one from woot a while back - I think it was Whistler or something like that- but haven't gotten it to work yet. Tried a couple of times & then put it away.

Draft saved Draft deleted