1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into the offseason: Dirk Nowitzki for Kevin Garnett?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, May 4, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

He had a bad NBA Finals too.

82 scrimmage games don't count like the postseason.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not a good enough reason to trade him, unless the price is right. And it would take more than KG.

Just curious, would you trade Nash because he didn't make the finals? At least Dirk did get there.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Fair question. I wouldn't, personally, trade Nash. Not with the rule changes on defense. He can do whatever he wants on offense now

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

With that style of offense, would you take Baron Davis instead? Look what Baron is doing with those guys. Imagine what he'd do with the Phoenix Suns shooters. Plus, Baron can rebound. If you're a rebounding point guard, it adds soooo much more to the offense because when he gets the ball, it'll instantly start fast breaks.
    I'm just just thinkin.................

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Ask any scout, GM, coach, beat writer or columnist and I'll bet nine out of 10 will pick Nash over Davis. Nash is a two-time MVP who is playing his role better than any point guard since Stockton was in his prime. Davis is an oft-injured gunner who happened to get hot at the right time.

Jesus, do you really dislike Nash that much that you'd compare him with Baron Davis?

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm not arguing who's better. I'm saying who would be better in what situation.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dirk is a stud who came up huge last year when the Mavs needed him and they got past the Spurs and the Suns. We are still waiting for that type of performance from KG. Dirk's younger and has a lot less wear and tear.

KG needs to go to LA or NY; an appropriate exit venue where they love overpriced players.

8. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

If I'm the Lakers, I want Kidd before KG.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say 10 out of 10.

The Mavericks don't need to deal Dirk, they need to get him some big-time help. I wonder, if they still had Nash, if the Mavs would be on their way to a second consecutive NBA title. Not saying they would, since they won zero with Nash and Dirk before. But given the improvement of both since then ...

Try this thought: Replace Jason Terry on the Mavs with Nash. Do they beat Miami last year? Can they counter Davis and hold off Golden State?

Please understand that I'm not saying I think they would have. I just can't help but wonder.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Davis is a stud, and he's built like a tank. He's great to have as a rebounder. But like Doc said, he's too injury-prone. Also, he's not as fast as Nash, not as good of a ball-handler, not as good of a shooter, and doesn't see the floor as well. Of course, he is a better defender and rebounder. But I'd definitely take Nash, especially for the Suns-type offense. IMO, the only guy in the league who sees the floor as well, passes as well, and is as fast as Nash is Kidd, but he doesn't shoot as well (or well at all). Again, he is worlds better on defense and as a rebounder.

Nash really is a freak in what he can do, and how good of a ballhandler he is. I know he doesn't look like it, and he is a sub-standard defender, but he is so good at running a team, he is at his own level. The rule changes and the PHX system just bring it out more than when he was with Dallas.

11. Troy

Troy New Member

You have to take into account of Baron's rebounding because of the Warriors' small players on the team. Nash isn't a good rebounder by any means, but of course, even if he tried, he would be trying to snag some rebounds from Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, etc. With Baron playing around smaller big men (doesn't make sense, much, really?), it's more easier for him to bring down some boards unlike Nash in his own situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted