1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking into buying/leasing a car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boobie Miles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Garner

Garner Member

Bahahaaha That's why they pay OTD the big bucks, in-depth reporting like that.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I drive a Sentra now. I like it OK, though it's not what I would have picked out for myself. Solid car though, enough so that I went 19 months without changing the oil and it's shown no ill effects.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm sure Hyundai and Mitsubishi are good too.

Does Nintendo make cars? Get one of those if they do.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got a Nissan now and love it. 110,000 miles in 4 years and very few problems.

Again, that strange correlation. Hmmmm.

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I drive a Honda Civic and it's the best car I've ever had by far.

True story: A few years ago I took my Civic in for an oil change at some Podunk auto shop and the mechanic starts laughing when I tell him the make of my car. At first I thought he was one of those goofy hicks that hate foreign cars, but it turns out that he was remembering a Civic owner from years past who brought in his Civic almost 100 miles after the red oil light came on. The owner of that Civic was freaking out that he ruined his engine and the mechanic said that not only was the engine not harmed in any way, but that it probably could have gone on another 100 miles or so easily.

He says for the money, they are by far the best car you can buy.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

You have got to be making that up.

And something tells me you'll pay for that eventually. It's like a guy with festering sores who swims in a river filled with radioactive waste. Sure, the subsequent physical might reveal he's OK. But life is gonna be a bitch later.

As for cars, Pontiacs are just about indestructible. Alas, they are also now pretty much luxury cars. So forget that.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with a used Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla. Should be able to get lots of miles on them.

8. lono

lono Active Member

Nah, you want a 1997 Dodge Neon or Pontiac Sunfire, with a combination CD/feather/roach clip hanging from the rear-view mirror, one missing hubcap and a Clay Aiken bumper sticker.

Pure bitch wagon bliss. :-X

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

So I take it most of you haven't been influenced by those "This is our country" ads. I know well about the durability of Honda's, my '90 accord has almost 200,000 miles on it but it is starting to wear down. Seems like Civics have gotten the most love so far, anymore suggestions welcomed.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm needing new wheels, and since this thread is rolling, I have two questions for anyone who cares to reply.

First, I'm seriously thinking about a Subaru Outback. Any endorsements/caveats?

Second, as I live in West Buttfuck, Great Plains, USA, I'm thinking about using carmax.com, since the selection out here is real fucking limited. Plus I don't have the type of personality that works with car salesmen very well...I'm just not very aggressive and I tend to be trusting...not bad qualities for life, but bad for dealing with car sales people. Again, endorsements/caveats about carmax?

I thank you in advance.

11. boots

boots New Member

You have SUCKER written all over you. Good luck.
    As a journalist, I've come to realize that you need QUALITY transportation. Looks are secondary.
    Also, your car will depreciate faster than the temperature because of how often you use it. Keep that in mind when you buy.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have I got a deal for you! Outbacks are good if you have some rough driving.

Never dealt with carmax. I like haggling with dealers myself. And you don't have to trust anyone if you come armed with the information.

If you know what you want and how much it costs the dealer, it takes away from the trusting aspect.

You have to be willing to go to some lots just to look to see what you like and have no intention on buying. Then when you know what you want, you can go to a bluebook or consumer reports and get all the info on that car.

Armed with that, you have no mystery or need to trust the salesman.

Draft saved Draft deleted