1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking forward to that prime-time golf

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Keystone

Keystone Member

Sidebar on Mediate moved at 11:33 EDT. Only three minutes past our deadline. :mad:

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Given what Tiger did, I'm betting those ratings will be pretty damn good.

3. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

And then, as soon as the US Open ends Sunday, your ass can stay planted for another 3 hours for the coronation of the Celtics

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another three hours? Try another 90 minutes. Nobody'll be tuning in to the Celtics until halftime.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

As if David Stern didn't have enough problems these days, the finale of his championship series is going to draw a zeros share everywhere except Boston and L.A. for any portion of the telecast that overlaps the U.S. Open as long as Tiger is still on the first page of the leaderboard.

BTW, ever notice that Tiger's name is always first on the TV leaderboard whenever he's in a two- or three- or eight-way tie for a position? Dishheads would never dream of doing it alphabetically unless Tiger changes his last name to Aaron or Abrams.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

(Hey, sometimes smart is better than fair.)

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

FWIW, I'd do it the same way if I had advertisers to keep happy. Just sayin' that it opens the door to questions as to whether the networks are rooting for anyone in particular . . .

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think it's for the advertisers. It's for the audience. The mass of folks that watch because of Woods wants to see how he's doing as quickly as possible. I bet they do the same thing on the TV leaderboards for Phil, too.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

PS: That reminds me of this leaderboard story, which I heard from Charles Pierce, and I hope it's not just apocryphal. At the Milwaukee J-S back in the day, the standing order on PGA Tour agate was to give the final results in the Monday paper down to homey Andy North's name, then cut it off.
    North wins Open. Disgruntled agate guy cuts off agate after his name.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Shouldn't be any overlap. Leaders tee off at 1:30 PDT. Rounds Saturday were taking about 4:15 to finish, so at that pace, the leaders will finish at 5:45 p.m. The arcane 18-hole playoff is tomorrow. NBA game tips at 6:07 p.m.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

As right as your numbers seem, I'd be willing to bet there's overlap.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The first half of the NBA Finals will be taken over by Tiger.

Draft saved Draft deleted