1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for National Sports Ad Sales People

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TheHoopsReport, Aug 20, 2010.

1. TheHoopsReport

TheHoopsReport New Member

I know this doesn't really belong on this forum, but I was hoping some people may be able to help me out. I'm in the process of putting together a new business venture in the basketball media industry. It's a new concept that will certainly get national attention immediately. It is debuting in October and will be an online-based business that will involve some nationally prominent basketball writers.

I am looking to hire a few people with experience in national ad sales to work on all commission. I don't have the contacts in the national ad sales field and I don't have the time and patience because I know how difficult it is to sell to these companies.

Is anyone on here in this field or know anyone who is in this field who is interested in joining a brand new business venture with unlimited potential and make some serious money?

If so, please e-mail me, whether it's you or someone you know, at rfeldman@thehoopsreport.com. Again, I apologize for posting this in a journalism forum, but I am a sports journalist myself and I know there are some great people who post here. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out.

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Good luck with the new venture. However, no competent national sales reps are going to work for you on commission only -- not even in this economy. At a minimum you will have to offer a monthly retainer or a draw against commission. Think about it: it takes months and months to sell significant advertising for a new publication or website. Then it takes the advertising agencies 60-90 days to pay you, and then you have to get the commission checks out to the salespeople.

That all means a commission-only sales rep joining your venture may not see any money for four, five or six months. Nobody good is going to accept that.

Draft saved Draft deleted