1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for help/advice on a career move

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by IllMil, Aug 10, 2010.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Hi everyone,

I've found this to be a good place to come for career advice. I'll try to be brief.

I just turned 23 and have been out of school for a year. I have been an intern at a major insurance company for the last six months doing internal communications. My term here expires at the end of the month but this morning I was offered a full-time job in another department that has nothing to do with where I want to be. Basically a service position. Pay is mediocre, but the benefits here are great and I will be able to live. Here's the problem.

Tomorrow I already scheduled an interview for a PR position with a nonprofit. This the job I wanted badly out of school, PR and a nonprofit. Job A said they needed a decision by the end of today. So, I took it. And I'm still planning to interview for Job B. If I get it, I'm leaving. If that ends up happening, should I feel bad about it? Am I doing something wrong?

I talked to my brother, dad and current manager. Brother and dad basically said, "They don't give a shit about you, who cares about making them upset."

Current manager told me to take the job, and if I get the other one, bolt. What do you think?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your manager, dad and brother are all correct.

If you do get the job you want, congratulations.

You are doing nothing wrong. It's all timing that you can't control.

Don't feel bad at all about leaving. Look at it his way -- it will be an opportunity for someone else who really needs a job.

Good luck.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The Force is strong with your current manager.

You needed a job, so you took a job. Now you have a chance to get a better job -- if they offer, take it. It really is that simple.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

They're right, but a better way to put it is, "It's just business. Nothing personal."

In business "shits" aren't to be given one way or the other. You did the right thing.

The only thing I would do is be sure to offer 2 weeks notice if you get the other job.

Draft saved Draft deleted