1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for advice on how to handle a situation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Oct 5, 2006.

1. so today, i have an interview all lined up with a pro athlete. i tell the lady at the front desk to have my call placed to another office and what's she do? Sends the call back to my desk where I am not at. Needless to say I missed out on a big story.
    What would you guys do?

2. I would tell her about the mistake and try to line up another interview. When you do finally talk to the guy, apologize and explain the error, without making the secretary sound like a complete fool...

3. Interview will not be granted now. Hey, it's water under the bridge now.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

Make sure she knows of the gravity of her error. A needle to the gums won't leave any marks.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Take it up with her, and if she brushes you off, then tell your SE, or if you are the SE, tell the ME or another higher-up.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do you have a cell phone? I would bypass the front office lady in the future.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

go to the SE or ME. these thingsd dont end well when you go right at her....

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

a banana high up her tailpipe.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

If you've never screwed up, go at her like a pit bull.
    if you have screwed up, cut her some slack.
    you have no clue what was going on at the front desk when she transferred the call -- maybe there were five customers lined up with squalling babies asking her questions at the same time.
    it's doubtful that she did it on purpose. Tell your supervisor what happened.
    next time, figure out a way to bypass her -- or, sit at your desk until the call comes, then transfer it to the office you want to take it in.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She probably didnt do it on purpose... but she does need to have stressed what a problem it caused.

11. I was in the office next to hers, and there was NOBODY at the front desk. I talked to her about it and was brushed off. Talked to the ME and was brushed off. Had a serious talk with the SE (me in this instance) and was pissed when I left that discussion.
    Like I said, interview will not be granted, so not much to do now.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

sounds like you're screwed

Draft saved Draft deleted