1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a writer for baseball website

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by jbnut11, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

That's a great wage if you're considering writing as just any menial job. However, writing is truly a skilled labor position that requires talent and intellect and as such, the pay should be commensurate.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Have you read Mike Lupica's columns?

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This thread has generated some funny, funny shit.
    Good reading, for sure.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I know a lot of papers that pay their stringer $30 or $35 for football games.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

"Everybody learns to write in 1st grade. Most of us move on to better things."

It's over the top, but somewhat true. We're not doing brain surgery here.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've known a ton of those guys, they're thrilled to be out on a Friday night to cover the home team. There's one guy who IM's me all the time at my new job (in a different state and a million miles away from high school sports), who wants to tell me everything about what happened last week with the coach and the junior QB, etc. I don't have the heart to tell him "bro, I don't give a hoot anymore."

Those are guys who just love the games, and the $35 is a bonus.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Working for $30 to cover a story (probably from home) is fair. I take a lot of $30-$50 stories because I know I can knock them out in an hour from the comfort of my couch. It's more than I make at my day job.

8. Brucewells62

Brucewells62 New Member

Anyone know whats up with these guys? I sent an email and haven't heard as much as a polite reply back.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Obviously unprofessional clowns. Who gives a fuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted