1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a writer for a Major Sports Talk show in Southern California

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jdoe19, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say, this job sounds a bit sketchy. You guys do a great job of ripping on it. I'll hang up and listen.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In all seriousness, why would a talk show need a writer? Don't most radio hosts go off their own stuff? Or are we talking Anchorman-esque dependence on the script?

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

F*** you, San Diego.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm BYH with my co-host today, Cock and Balls McGee.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

After reading y'all's weigh-ins here, I'm very curious as to whether the contact for this gig, radiojob1, has checked out this thread ... and what he/she must think. I, for one, love what I'm reading.

And for the record, no, I won't apply. I ain't cut out for sports talk radio. I won't bow at the feet of Tom Brady, A-Rod, Kobe, Beckham and Dale Jr. for an entire shift like most of today's - ahem - "experts."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

(S)he hasn't:<blockquote>Name:  jdoe19
    Position: Newbie
    Date Registered: February 22, 2009, 10:21:15 PM
    Last Active: February 22, 2009, 11:17:21 PM</blockquote>
    If that's all you have, clone, you won't be in the smack-off. Come on, people ... Step it up, come strong, have a take and don't suck!

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I sent them and email and I am waiting to see if they even respond. Also why on earth would they use a free email account if its a big LA station?

9. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I'll be curious to see if you get that response, sportsnut. One thing I've noticed over four months of job-hunting is that more often than not, probably 75 percent of the time, I don't even get an acknowledgement that my resume, application, etc., were received. That's frustrating as all hell, and based on what I was taught, extremely unprofessional. But that's the business world in which we now live.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

This is likely for Jim Rome's show (everything that guy says on any subject is written out, as any of us who've ever seen him on radio row at the Super Bowl can verify), with a slight chance it could be Tony Bruno's program instead. As for why the gmail account, sometimes people don't want to show their hand. I've used non station accounts for job searches in the past to disguise what we were up to.

11. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Rufino, I guess your right that using espn.com foxsports.com email accounts sometimes gets you 200+ more resumes.

Anyways, I have not heard a single word from this person. So, I can't provide any information on the gig at this time but will keep you all up to date.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Terrible. Just terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted