1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a source on sports violence

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, Nov 5, 2009.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Does anyone know any good sources -- a national association, maybe -- who deal with violence associated with sports events? Ideally someone who can speak to violence in high school sports. Any help is appreciated. Been Googling and can't quite find anything that fits what I'm looking for.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Violence IN the events or AT the events? Participants or fans? Violence as in extracurricular or violence as in the violent-by-nature sports of football, hockey, etc.?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Try a pro football agent by name of Drew Rosenhaus. He specializes in representing violent players that others won't take on.

If all fails try Harry Edwards who seems to have a sociological explanation and excuse for every violent act by a pro athlete.

4. Prospero

Prospero Member

Start here:
    http://www.northeastern.edu/sportinsociety/research/expertsguide.html

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Dan Lebowitz is a quote machine. He's great.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Thanks Prospero ... I think that may do it. We're looking at violence involving athletes in events and the aftermath of events -- we've had a couple of incidents, so we're doing the obligatory trend story. It'll be good to have an outside voice, because all the local ones are well-practiced at talking without saying anything.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Hacker:
    There's a Ph.D down in the Dallas/Fort Worth area by the name of Dr. Donald Beck. He used to write a guest column for DMN on a variety of topics under the umbrella of values/cultural mores/psychology, and is a delightful guy to source. I interviewed him for a book I wrote about five years ago and he was terrific. He can flex his expertise to about any sports topic, and I presume that would include violence in sports.

By the way, you aren't perchance related to the Sergeant Hacker from Gomer Pyle USMC, are you? :)

8. Prospero

Prospero Member

You're welcome, Hacker.

Draft saved Draft deleted