1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a little feedback on a piece

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by smsu_scribe, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I think kickers work better in a column than on a feature, unless it's something really powerful you can use to play off the final quote.

When I was starting out, I used them all the time. And they'd get cut all the time. It might take a while, but eventually you'll realize that you're sometimes trying to be too cute.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"there was never any doubt that Baumann’s natural talent could translate into Division II material."

This phrase stuck out to me -- the coach knew he was going to be a small-college player but nothing more? I think if you said "could allow him to play at the college level," it'd convey the same thing without being oddly specific like that.

And I'm very anti-kicker. End with a strong quote and be happy with it.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That phrase caught my eye as well, but more because it is strangely worded. Mediaguy's way sounds much better.

4. Posted some feedback on the Workshop board.

Draft saved Draft deleted