1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Looking for a Blogger - College Football

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by PIGSKINU, Dec 28, 2010.

1. PIGSKINU

PIGSKINU New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm with a brand new company called PIGSKINU. We're a college football community website and we've just put together a blog called Just Sayin' (www.pigskinu.com/justsayin). Before we market ourselves extensively in the coming weeks, we’d like to find a quick witted blogger who can cover all the drama that surrounds the game of college football. Since Just Sayin' is a blog, we lean towards having shorter articles so more posts can be made (at least 2 posts per week).

Is anyone on this board interested in being a regular contributor? If so what are your terms? This opportunity would be better suited for someone who’s looking for exposure. I know that will rule out many of you as professionals, but if you are interested or know of anyone who would be interested please let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hounds, The Release

3. PIGSKINU

PIGSKINU New Member

Yeah, I know how it is and I don't blame you or anyone else on this board who doesn't want the job. But just to keep it real for a moment, there's most likely a few people on this board who could use all the exposure they can get who also enjoy the game of football. So, if they're at a stand still with work right now or in between jobs this may be a good fit for them. That's the person we're looking for. Links to their blogs, twitter, or facebook will only help them.

Again, if I'm on the wrong website for something like this I do apologize. It wasn't my intention for this thread to insult anyone. But if that's the case, do you as a professional have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Far be it from me to speak for the entire SportsJournalists.com population, but in my humble opinion, yes, you're on the wrong website.

My suggestion as a professional sports journalist of 25-plus years is to pay your writers for their work.

That is all.

5. PIGSKINU

PIGSKINU New Member

I understand. Well, if anyone knows someone who's starting out in the world of journalism and would like to take part in this for perhpas their portfolio please let me know.

Thanks Again,

Andrew

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Andrew,

It's not your fault, but there have been dozens of posts just like yours over the last few years. Take a look at Craigslist, there are probably hundreds for each local area. You've also got the content mills like Demand Studios, and Bleacher Report, etc. With all of these pay-per-click, and write-for-exposure sites - it is very unlikely you are going to find a good writer who has no other way to market themselves.

Unfortunately in your case, this means you will get what you pay for. And since you can't pay, your likely going to get a high school kid, or some knucklehead who has no idea of proper grammar or spelling. Unfortunately for the fellow members of SportsJournalists.com, this means explaining why "work-for-free" writing gigs aren't exactly fun around these parts.

However, if you do happen to get this thing rolling and remain financially solvent, this would be your place to get better talent than Craigslist. So best of luck to you.

And again, not your fault.

7. PIGSKINU

PIGSKINU New Member

Thanks for the advice. That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully in the near future I'll return to this site and be able to work with some of you.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just saw this. I'll take a stab. Would you ask an out-of-work accountant to work for free in the mean time? Would you ask a house painter to work for free so he can get "exposure"?

It's about the same thing when you come on a website frequented in large part by professional journalists -- people who make, or have made their livings, doing what you are asking them to do to benefit you.

It's fine to start a website. It's great to have a blog. But why not blog it yourself (you and whoever else is involved) until you can raise the capital to bring on help? Do you personally have equity in the thing, if it somehow becomes successful (and chances are remote that it will ever be profitable or sell to anyone -- that is not a statement about you or your abilities, but about sites like these in general)? If so, rather than coming on here with the exposure pitch, it might show a bit more respect for people's work (and frankly, I am still sure most pros still wouldn't consider your offer) if you offered equity in the venture in exchange for labor, and gave your best pitch for what you are doing that is different than others, and explained why you expect it to be profitable in the future. Do you have a business plan? How is being funded? At least there, there is some payment of sort -- albeit payment that, if you are like the 98 percent of others who start sites like that, will amount to a hill of beans down the road (again, not slam of you or your abilities. It's just that these ventures very rarely last or amount to anything).

In any case, good luck for your site. You picked the wrong place to post that, though.

9. metro698608

metro698608 New Member

Hi Andrew,

I'd like to learn more about this. Is there an email address at which I can contact you?

Thanks very much.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hi Andrew 2!

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought there was a (possibly informal) policy to not put freebie gigs on this board. Am I missing something here?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not on the real jobs board - they're fine here. People can respond if they like, blow it off if they like.

Draft saved Draft deleted