1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lookin' spiffy at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

True. It is fashionable to knock the store as not being what it was -- the traditional American men's store is now owned by an Italian company -- but it is my default clothing choice. I wait for the sales, though.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dig that.
    My daughter got me a 40 dollar gift card for Xmas. Sorry, she said, best she could swing. Half a shirt!
    They had a three for 149 sale last week, which ain't bad.

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

The last place I worked, I showed up for my interview in shirt and tie and the SE was wearing shorts and a T-shirt (it was July). So I wore shorts pretty much every day I was in the office, but threw on some jeans and a button up for games.

New job, I again wore shirt-tie to interview, SE was wearing the same thing. There is a very loose dress code here wear no jeans are allowed (except Friday). Don't really like it, but thems the brakes.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Shirt and tie were legislated at work a while ago, necessitating a wardrobe upgrade. I didn't think whether I did an interview in jeans, a golf shirt and sneakers made a difference.
    It probably doesn't. But I don't mind wearing a shirt and tie, don't mind the compliments from co-workers who are surprised I own a wardrobe and dress shoes, and don't mind looking professional. Feel better too, and, though it doesn't matter to my kids, I don't mind being in a profession where you have to dress up to go to work. They always know I can use another shirt or tie on Father's Day too ;D. Don't mind ditching the tie after the brass goes home though, I'll tell you that.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I blame Esquire for my recent spate of wanting to dress up. I just started subscribing and it makes me want to buy $3,000 suits.

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Dido. I would love to do the khaki's and a tucked in shirt thing (my father would like that, too. I get comments from him every time I'm home about my untucked shirt), but it doesn't work for me. I just feel uncomfortable. So I dress in jeans and a nice button down or knit shirt, untucked, of course. If I'm "dressing up," I tuck my shirt in and throw a sport coat on. I wouldn't mind dressing up all the time in nice pants and all, but, eh. The players don't dress up for me....kidding. but they don't.

7. You can get lotsa sharp clothing -- and a perfect fit -- for not much money by hitting up Asian tailors who tour the U.S. on a regular basis. Or, by stopping by their stores if you ever find yourself in Bangkok or Hong Kong.

I ordered a custom-made suit from one of them and it's the best suit I've ever owned. Fits like a glove. Paid $350 for it. Stateside, would have cost close to $2,000, probably. They took a zillion measurements, did two fittings and took about two days to get it done.

I also have a number of shirts from them that can be worn with the suit or with jeans/khakis/cotton slacks at work. $40 each, and again, the fit is perfect.

Of course, I'm a hard size, so over-the-counter dress stuff never fits me well.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

a. What is the quality of materials?
    b. How do you hook up with these road shows?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I wear jeans just about every day, to just about every event I cover. Nice jeans. Not ripped. Not saggy. Team with nice shoes, nice shirt and a jacket, and it can be a versatile wardrobe.

Jeans, t-shirt and running shoes? Only if my sole thing at work that day is to go to the office and take calls.

You can wear jeans without dressing like a slob.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Ditto on Moddy's BB fetish, as I have raided their sorta-nearby outlet a time or two for some SWANK shirts! Still can't pull the trigger on a blazer, though. That kind of coin outlay needs Mrs. Rockbottom's preapproval, alas.

Express seems to churn out a quality dress shirt in enough interesting styles/colors to keep me in their credit card-holding good graces. If I scrimp anywhere, it is the trousers. My $180 britches look and feel almost identical to my $30 ones.

And no matter what I wear (which ranges anywhere from a dress shirt/nice jeans/dress shoes combo to really dressy shirt/cufflinks/tie/suit), I consistently rock the casbah WAY BETTER than The Rules Of Golf. That, ladies and gentlemen, is fact.

rb

11. I STRONGLY disagree. When in common press boxes, my sartorial splendor, purchased from high-end haberdashers, is vastly superior to Rockbottom's Stafford attire.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

So sayeth the man who has cashed paycheques from an organization that published a story about a certain unnamed SEC roundball coach who dons a garish blazer while trodding the sideline -- simply because said blazer was obtained by a carny/retailer in his former hometown.

Also, this claim from a person who believes bow ties are the zenith of fashion cool? Puh-leeze.

We vigorously stand by our reporting on the matter.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted