1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lookin' spiffy at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 13, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I believe in the fact that the manner in which you dress on the job shows your attitude toward the job.
    I'm not a super-natty dresser but I like to have a neat appearance in sweaters, khakis, v-necks, blue jeans ... without skin showing or messiness. I find that if I'm comfortable in good clothing, I'm more productive.
    If it's a big event - high school state championship, college or pro game - I'll get dressed up in a suit with slacks or a long skirt.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Only recently have I found employment that affords me the opportunity to afford clothes. I think I've bought more clothing the past year than I have the past ten years. I love making an upgrade.

That said, I enjoy keeping people on their toes. So I may show up at the office several times over in just plain jeans and a wrinkled work-shirt, but then suddenly fancy myself up just 'cause.

If it's a big college game or some other similar deal, I want to look sharp and professional. I hate to say it, but I sometimes dress according to the event at hand.

Also, if I'm driving a long ways, I usually wear a windsuit, kind of like what basketball teams wear on the road. Then, when I get where I'm going, I'll change. Changing is sometimes a pain in the ass, but not as much as driving four hours both ways in slacks, dress shirt and fancy shoes.

Just don't wear the damn windsuit to the game. I've seen guys do that, and it looks like they're trying to show the rest of us what awesome weekend warriors they are or something.

3. Periodista

Periodista New Member

I wear a shirt and a tie just about every day, along with a nice executive wool coal I recently splurged on at Macy's. If it's a weekend, I'll toss on a V-neck sweater with dress pants. Who cares if the other guys are wearing jeans and sweaters?

4. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I used to take that advice till the time I showed up to work in a terrible mustache and naked.

By the way, I'm not huge on dressing up ... mostly, I can't take paying $20 for a tie, such is my epic caution with money. BUT I love finding a nice pair of pants and second-hand shoes at Plato's Closet. Found a couple pairs of Steve Maddens (my favorite) that way.

That's right. Secondhand shoes. Someone pass Frank the defibulator.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Clothes are for people who aren't good enough to get away without wearing clothes.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

For the most part, I can't take paying $20 for a tie, either. A cheap tie is worse than no tie. You can cut corners on shirts -- a $19 shirt from Land's End is not appreciably different from a $60 shirt at Brooks Brothers. But a cheap tie screams CHEAP!

Unless you are buying good ties at thrift stores for $20.

I buy stuff at thrift stores, too. Recently bought a USA-made camel-hair blazer for $5. But you can really screw up your feet buying used shoes. They mold to the feet of the first owner.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Splurge on shoes. Go good.
    Splurge on one great suit and one great sports jacket.
    Have a couple of serious ties to wear with them.
    Cut corners elsewhere as you can. Catalogues, eBay, overstock.com - there are trillions of ways to buy good clothes without spending good money. I just bought three Brooks Brothers shirts - new - for less than you'd pay for one in the store.

I'm also very lucky in that I have an older brother my size who has good money and is a serious clotheshorse/whore. Redoes his wardrobe once a year or so. I get a lot of seriously good shit that's darn near new. His son is not the same size as us. Son gets most of the ties. I get suits, jackets, shirts, pants, you name it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On the BrooksBrothers.com winter sale or elsewhere?

9. Moderator1

eBay.
    But I will also go check out the winter sale!

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One thing about Brooks Brothers -- like Polo and a lot of others, they have a crappier line manufactured specifically for sale at outlet stores. So if you buy from a third party online, you might not get the good stuff. However, the regular stores have frequent 25 percent off sales, as well as some great deals on the clearance section online. If you are patient, great deals can be had.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's pretty picked over right now. But long-sleeve, wrinkle-free Oxford shirts were going for $37 each, down from $75.

12. Moderator1

Crappier Brooks Brothers remains much better than top quality of a lot of lines.

Wish I could remember the writer. A fairly well known writer did a magazine piece a while back about his first sports jacket. His dad whipped out a Brooks Brothers card and said, "Go quality." He wrote about how he and the jacket grew together.

Draft saved Draft deleted