1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lookin' spiffy at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I would have to describe my way of dress as House-ish.

I wear nice pants, a button-down shirt untucked and sneakers. Under the button-down, I usually have a wrestler T-shirt or concert T-shirt. After "business hours" and if I'm not out in public, the button-down is gone. I love the freedom in my job to be comfortable.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Someone on a clothes-related thread awhile back had a great line: Ties are for people who aren't good enough to get away without wearing a tie.

Nothing personal to tie wearers (for the most part).

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I stopped wearing skirts to work when I stopped working in PR. I've found that looking "too girly" covering a game or doing a sports-related interview can cost you some credibility. I always wear pants and full-coverage tops, minimal makeup and jewelry, shoes with no or low heel. Even now, when I interview, I do so in slacks.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I love rocking my suit whenever I can, but on the job I've only worn it at the limited D-I mens basketball I've freelanced (very limited - one full tourney, two gamers and two features at games).

It makes you feel more productive and cool until you realize you look like a rookie when the AP and major metro scribes show up in jeans and sweaters, slacks and shirts at best.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Awesome stuff, Frank. I've been in the market for a good pair of shoes lately.

And CR, I don't think I've ever worn a suit on assignment. Closest I've gotten is shirt-and-tie. Heck, I don't even rock a suit for an interview -- I just go the shirt and tie route.

6. i definitely feel more professional when i have on a ball state throwback and a new pair of gym shoes.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

as i said earlier on this thread, "Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man." :)

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You do have a point. GWB wears ties.

This is an asinine concept. Ohhhhhhh, I'm a rebel! I can go to work with no tie and my shirt untucked! Wow, aren't I cool!

I know someone like this. Some rebel. Biggest butt-smoocher I've ever met. So now he's a butt-smoocher and a slob.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Best advice I ever got: dress for the job you want.

(ie, just caught a glimpse of Terry Bradshaw with an orange and purple tie/hanky, perhaps he is interviewing to be a FedEx driver.)

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't think I ever heard of this before. Weird.

Although, in the early days of this place, on the jobs page, it said, "And once you've got the job, leave the suit and tie at home" or something like that. I don't think a single person in this building, all the way up to the VP/GM, wears a tie to work.

But outlawing them and making casual dress mandatory is strange to me. Here, it's just a natural part of the culture, but I don't think you'd be violating company policy if you wore a tie to work.

I have been through the opposite, though. After a couple of problems with the section in a paper I was at, it was decided that the ASEs' approach was too casual -- and ties became mandatory.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Unfortunately B-Dub, judging someone based on their appearance is the way of the world, whatever.

I dress to impress, but I'm definitely not a phony. I want to look as professional as the people I'm covering and interviewing on a day to day basis.

On Friday's--jean day--I sometimes feel like a schlub when I go and talk to people wearing suits.

The main point is, dress how you feel the most comfortable in your situation and disregard the people who make fun of you for wanting to look nice.

And, like many other people have pointed out, chicks love sharp dressers.

12. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

Bosses that make a shirt and tie mandatory have their priorities out of whack.

My shop does it right. Slacks and a polo are just fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted