1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look who's back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 26, 2011.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

"Michele"

The Sixth District thanks you.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Palin has an appeal to conservative, evangelical mothers. She never really developed a carerer before she started to have children. Her husband is blue collar worker. She is similar to millions of socially conservative women with similar life stories and tehy relate to her. That is her base and they turn out for her.

I don't blame her for being in over her head in the last election. She was thrown to lions without adequate preparation. But Obama after his keynote address that rocketed him to stardom in 2004 had the managerial abilities to
    assemble a really good campaign team. I don't see that same abilities in Palin. Who is her foreign policy advisor, for example?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sarah Palin is America's head soccer mom. There is an estimated 157.2 millions females in the USA. Of that number 82.8 million are mothers. Very few in that number have the mental capacity to run the country. Sarah Palin is in that group.

She, as many of the other 82.8 mil need to learn and accept that they should stick to running their local school bake sales and raising their kids instead of trying to run the country.

The only thing that Palin has going for her is that she isn't carrying the extra 50 lbs. that most soccer moms carry as they tool around town in their hideous Cheeto laden mini vans.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Bachmann and Palin are both in the race, this could be the most entertaining primaries ever.

It was funny. On Kimmel last night they showed a campaign ad for Palin and at the end it said, "Paid for by Barack Obama..."

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't Bachmann pretty much a useless Rep? I guess I shouldn't say useless. Perhaps she does right by her constituents, though that would be interesting since she's so anti-spending (I've always thought it would be tough to be a GOP representative, since the aims of the two groups seem so diametrically opposed).

From everything I've read, her fellow Republicans do not take her seriously at all. They don't join her committees. She introduces no bills that anyone takes seriously. She is an intellectual lightweight. And on and on.

7. Mizzougrad96

I think Bachmann sees herself as a smarter version of Palin and she wants what Palin has, and she thinks running will get her speaking engagements, book deals and a cushy gig at Fox News. I don't think she's actually after the presidency.

I think that's been the case with a lot of candidates over the years. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Pat Buchanan...

8. Dick Whitman

I think you're right. I asked a few months ago here what Bachmann's end game is, as she definitely desires a high profile. I think you hit it on the head. There is an enormous market for an attractive, fire-breathing, socially conservative woman.

My favorite Bachmann moment will always be her talking into the wrong camera in her State of the Union response.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think she lost a lot of support from her party with the whole State of the Union thing. The republicans had their own congressman (Ryan, I believe) who was already speaking on behalf of the party and she still thought she should speak on behalf of the Tea Party.

I think that hurt her a lot. The fact that she's still running shows me just how much she's craving the national spotlight.

10. Dick Whitman

Bachmann's "red hot love affair with the Constitution," as I think Dahlia Litwick called it, is perhaps the most annoying thing about her. The way she has set herself up as some sort of Constitutional scholar - and Glenn Beck and most of the Tea Party are guilty of this, as well - is like nails on a chalkboard.

This isn't a political thing. I would drive through a raging blizzard to have a half-hour of Antonin Scalia's time to talk about his Constitutional theory. Because he backs it with intellectual heft. I would drive through a lesser blizzard to speak with Clarence Thomas on the topic, because his originalism is even more pure than Scalia's. I couldn't get on board with it, because I think it would bring on chaos, but I would love to talk to him about it.

For Bachmann to parade around as some sort of equal to them is insulting. And this isn't about her not being a lawyer. The most fascinating, probing, skeptical-in-all-the-right-ways Constitutional scholar I have ever had the pleasure to speak with and learn from did not have a law degree. In fact, I think that worked to his favor.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/01/17/110117crat_atlarge_lepore

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Palin and TEA are the best thing the Dems could have ever wished for.

Imagine Japan attacking us during the Civil War. You cannot fight when you are split apart.

Unless the GOP has everything in order, they don't have a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted