1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look who's back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 26, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

You mean on this thread?

3. Dick Whitman

I honestly don't even think any of the board's staunchest conservatives support this circus act at this point in the game.

I guess I'm not surprised. I have written on here before and said that to remain relevant, she has to have that carrot to hold out that she may be president some day. Look how quickly she has faded into obscurity the last few months as others have taken the stage. I wouldn't be surprised if she backed out before the primaries got going, needing to "spend more time with her family" or something along those lines, and hinted strongly at a run in 2016. But the possibility has to be there to keep the crowds interested.

4. Dick Whitman

No. It's kept alive by the person who watches the money roll in every time she hints at a run.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

While that may be true, she must have some donors either showering her with cash, or getting ready to do so, or else she would have just told us already that she's not running. If there's a reason Republicans want her to run, it's that she can do something no other candidate (except maybe Ron Paul) can: draw a crowd. An enthusiastic one.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I would agree with this. I honestly don't get it. I suppose she's mostly amusing fodder for the left and cringe-worthy material for the right. But both sides have their idiots, so I don't know why she is such a special case.

Whoever keeps giving her money needs to fucking stop.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She's got a 28 percent approval rating nationwide and yet is second to Romney (17 percent to 15 percent) in Gallup's latest GOP presidential poll.

That's a dog that will not hunt. Hell - Obama already beat her to her best shot at turning around her approvals a month ago in Pakistan.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

And with the pool of candidates Team Elephant has right now, only Bachmann and Palin can draw a crowd and eyeballs.

Ron Paul and Tim Pawlenty won't do much. And barring a major meltdown for the O-man, someone has to be the lamb that gets led to the slaughterhouse next November.

A number of Tea Partiers are starting to realize how much they fucked up the GOP by running off the base of Republicans who weren't batshit crazy. The more they lose traction (which is moderately unlikely), the more the moderates GOP will be waiting for those faction-splitting clowns to beg them to come back.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I had this theory that Ron Paul was the Max Bialystock of presidential candidates, because he raised a ton of money and as far as I could tell never spent any on his campaign. But Paul is a sincere ideologue, so I don't really believe it, it was just a joke.
    But I could see Palin pulling that move. Very easily. Campaign funds, once a campaign is over, can be declared as income if you're willing to pay income taxes on them.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Palin is an attention whore. There are very few places where she could get elected governor or senator, much less president.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I dunno. She did a book signing here at a Costco and the line wrapped around the outside of the massive building. I think she'd get trounced in an election, but there are plenty of people who think she's God's gift to conservatism - literally.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

America being one of them, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted