1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Look out belowwwwww *** ad revenue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

More bad news:

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003781895

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

With less ads to sell, I wonder if they'll start slashing advertising in my shop like they do editorial ------ nah.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Working in the newspaper industry--the only profession that's a virtual reality simulation of what it was like to be aboard the Titanic!

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I love it. We all know that its going to sink. Now we just wait to see how fast.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wonder if we should all take up the violin and start playing Nearer My God To Thee?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

fewer

7. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

"There are signs that online revenue is beginning to slow as well. Internet ad revenue in 2007 grew 18.8% to $3.2 billion compared to 2006. In 2006, online ad revenue had soared 31.4% to $2.6 billion. In 2005, it jumped 31.4% to $2 billion."

Despite what publishers and Chicken Little wants you to think, the sky is not completely falling. Even though it is slowing, 18.8 percent growth is not bad.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Frankly the math is against the news industry.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's the total number, however, that is sobering. Think of it like this.

Let's say your total ad revenue for 2006 was 100 "units".

5.6 of those units were online, 94.4 print.

Your online revenue in 2007 went up 18.8 percent to 7.5 units. A nice percentage, but the number was so small to begin with that the additional number of units is very little.

And your print went down 9 percent to 86 units.

So in 2007 you sold 93.5 units . . . instead of 100 (even with the 18.8 percent online growth).

And if that growth

Draft saved Draft deleted